This Disappears When Logged In

Is a Normal 55 Gallon Tank Big Enough for a Ackie to Permanently Live In?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by tjlowery, May 1, 2013.

1. tjlowery

tjlowery Member

I recently aquired a 55 gallon tank thats 4feet wide and 2 feet tall. I want to put a larger lizard in it that isn't very common. So i was wondering if an ackie could comfortably live its life inside the tank and if not does anyone have any suggestions. I don't want any geckos because i already own two and i don't want a bearded dragon.

2. Dirkthejerk41

Dirkthejerk41 Elite Member

Re: Is a Normal 55 Gallon Tank Big Enough for a Ackie to Permanently Live I

Ive heard that 4x2x2 is recommended, how deep is it?

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Normal 55 gallons are only 12 inches wide, so no an ackie can not live it's entire life in it.
    I personally would not put anything that grows more then 8 inches long in a 55.

4. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Although Ackies are a smaller monitor, They still grow to be quite large. I wouldn't put an adult Ackie in a 55 gallon. You could definitely find a smaller but still unique lizard that would suit that size enclosure though. Just keep looking.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Agreed, ackies shouldn't be housed in a 55 as adults. The main problem with a 55 is that they are usually only 12" wide. Most people agree that the minimum width for a cage for any lizard should be the length of said lizard, so for an ackie you will need something around 24". You could make a nice setup for a colony of anoles I think. You will definitely be looking at smaller species though. Maybe look into some species of gecko you don't already have.

6. TeguBuzz

TeguBuzz Elite Member

Any sort of monitor shouldn't be housed in a glass tank. Seeing as a 55 is too small in general, I'd recommend building or purchasing a custom enclosure.

7. Adrenaline101

Adrenaline101 Active Member

No, minimum 4x2x2 for one monitor is recommended, with the ability to add 1 foot of dirt is preferred.
    Glass doesn't insulate well in the first place and if it doesn't have a sealed top it will be hard to keep the humidity regulated properly.

8. tjlowery

tjlowery Member

Are there any types of lizards about the size of a bearded dragon that aren't to common?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s more about are there any types of lizard the size of an adult Bearded dragon (almost 2 feet) that can be housed properly in an all glass fish tank if it only measures 12 inches high (I`m not sure if there are)!?

10. tjlowery

tjlowery Member

From the very top to the bottom is 2 ft. Tall

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Murrindindi meant 12in wide. So for an unusual small lizard that can stay in a 55...Croc skinks, fire skinks, rainbow agama, spiderman agama, or pretty much any type of swift-emerald swift, pink swift, desert spiny, etc.

12. tjlowery

tjlowery Member

What about a uromastyx? my friends cousin had one that lived comfortably in a 30 gallon tank.

13. tbron

tbron Elite Member

if your looking for something unique. armadillo lizards are awesome looking.

also try a Red Eyed Crocodile Skink.

14. justor

justor Elite Member

That uro was not comfortable.

15. tjlowery

tjlowery Member

I like that armadillo lizard idea and from what i know about them they only get about 8.5 to 9 inches long correct?

16. VaranusDragon74

VaranusDragon74 Active Member

There is no measurement, on a 55 gal, that is beneficial to an ackie..
    The desired size would be around 5'L x3'W x5'H, with 16"-22" of substrate,
    at least 3 different branches (different widths, placed at different levels), and plenty of leafy cover, to hide under.

17. staypuft

staypuft New Member

Put it in a 75 gal or 4x2x2 and if you do a temporary, use a 40 gal (36*18*18)instead of a 55 because they have more floor space than a 55 (48*12*24)