This Disappears When Logged In

Is a Full Metal Halid light setup ok for my turtles??

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by eg61320, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eg61320

eg61320 New Member

I just had a question regarding my lighting setup? in my tank now i have one full metal halid bulb that i used on my saltwater tank b4 this. the air temp is about 73-80 degrees. now its suppose to be a full sun spectrum light. i also have a 20,000K fluorescent bulb. I just want to know if this is good enough for red eared sliders. can anyone help me?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. Metal halides are great for streetlights, growing plants or lighting warehouses. For providing UVB light you need a bulb specifically designed for that. The term Full Sun or Full Spectrum only refers to the color of the visible light. UVB is not visible,...at least not to us.

3. eg61320

eg61320 New Member

thanks for your input, ill keep that in reference.

4. eg61320

eg61320 New Member

do you have any recommendations on florescent lights that i can use?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The Zoo med Reptisun 5.0 or the Iguana Light 5.0 for flourescent. (They are the same bulb just different packaging. :confused: ) Flourescent lights have to be within 12 inches of the animal to do any good.
    You also might check out the ReptileUV link on the home page. If you have to go from the ground up these would be my suggestion. The light penetrates a lot farther

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.