This Disappears When Logged In

Iranian Jaya Jungle Carpet Python Baby

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by brittyb, Apr 10, 2013.

1. brittyb

brittyb New Member

So my main question is that do these snakes calm down with age? I rescued a baby (possible 9 months) Iranian Jaya Jungle Carpet Python around 4 days ago. The people I got it from were trying to feed the little one frozen, but he wouldnt eat. I am trying to get him to eat mice pups, but no luck yet. (my guess is he needs to settle into his new home) My only issue with this little one is he is very bitey. He (just using he though it has not yet been sexed, is still too small) tries to bite me every time i handle him. He is in an Exo Terra tank that is tall and roughly 1.5' x 1.5' at the base. He has water and a day/night light system that runs on a timer. We also got him some tree branch type logs to climb on. He has an under the tank heating pad also. Just need some advice.
    brittyb

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Yes they typically calm down as they get bigger if you handle it regularly. An under tank heater isn't really the best way to go with these guys as they are arboreal and prefer to spend their time off the ground. You can stick a UTH on the side of a tank, but it may not be enough to maintain the proper temps. Do you have a way of measuring the temperatures and humidity in the tank?

3. brittyb

brittyb New Member

I am working on getting a thermometer and the one that reads humidity. I am just new to these snakes and I do know from talking to a person at my local zoo that carpet pythons are not arboreal. It is a misconception. They live on the jungle floor, though they do climb, they are not arboreal. And with the heat lamps also going his tank is rather warm, just have to wait till pay day to get the stuff to read heat and humidity.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

They may not be strictly arboreal like their green tree python relatives, but they do have strong arboreal tendencies especially when young. Some subspecies are more terrestrial than others such as the coastals and diamonds, but irian jaya carpets and jungle carpets are both highly arboreal snakes I assure you. Don't take one persons word as gospel, there are entire communities of people who focus on morelia pythons and the majority of those people will tell you the same thing I have said. Of course every snake is different and they each have their own habits.

Oh and when you get a thermometer make sure you go with a digital one as opposed to the lousy dial ones.

5. brittyb

brittyb New Member

sorry for seeming rude. I dont mean to seem that way. I appreciate the information you have given me very much. so I will try and get a digital thermometer. If you have any other information on these snakes, I would love to hear it. I just want to make sure and do right by my little one. I dont want to hurt him.

6. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Welcome! Carpet pythons became my favorite reptile, partly because of justor lol. So glad to have another carpet python person on the forum. Carpet python temperament is very similiar amongst all of the sub species, with some minor differences. Most people believe that irian jayas are to calmest of the group. Carpets in general are known to be fiesty when young, but if you handle it frequently, it should calm down into a nice pet due to built trust, and the confidence that these snakes seem to find when they grow a bit. Can you post some pictures for us? I have an irian jaya myself. Also, i would suggest tryin to get it on rat pups as quickly as possible. There are a number of ways to do this and we can help you out when you are ready.

7. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Congrats on the rescue! I only have experience with my one JCP but I've had him for a little over 8 years, and I got him a few weeks after hatching. Within the last 6 months he has stopped snapping at me. And this was with regular handling lol. Every time I stuck my hand in his enclosure I got bit-usually multiple times.

He has been the most alert snake I've ever had. He knows when your looking at him ALWAYS lol.
    But he has spent most of his life hanging on wooden dowels.
    If you look at the end of your IJ, you'll see that he has a prehensile tail.

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Austin (justor) is one of the best people to listen to about the carpets. The only possible thing I could have to add is, see if you can stick with frozen since that's what it was on. Switch over to rats depending on size but frozen will make your life easier in the long run. Good luck and hope to see some pictures soon! :)