This Disappears When Logged In

introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mermaid, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Mermaid

Mermaid New Member

Hi all I'm just introducing my self and looking for help with a 29g fresh water aquarium. It's my first time ever owning a tank with fish and would like some tips on how to set it up and keep it healthy. Any and all tips welcome. Thx.

2. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Well...do you have the tank/equipment already? And what kinds of fish are you planning to keep? Toughest thing for me with new tanks was always having the patience to set it up and let it cycle a bit, make sure my temps and water quality were good...when I was in a hurry to add fish!

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center. I have no experience with fish tanks other than they work well for smaller lizards.
    I say forget the fish and put some Viper Geckos in there :)

Mermaid likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Welcome to the forum. Just so your aware, this is primarily a reptile and amphibian forum, but I'm sure there are a few here with some aquarium experience, like myself. So feel free to hang out and ask your questions, I'm sure someone here will be able to help.
    Now about the tank you have, assuming you have all the proper equipment, basically you just need to set everything up, fill it with dechlorinated water, and get the filter going. I then like to wait 24-48 hours, and then add some hardy starter fish, like guppies, platies, mollies, danios, etc. Then you'll need to be both patient and diligent, patient for the few weeks the tank needs to cycle, and diligent about dokng the required waterchanges and checking nitrate and ammonia levels. Once the tank has been cycled you can begin adding fish a few at a time over a few weeks, until you get the amount of fish you want.

Mermaid likes this.
  5. Mermaid

Mermaid New Member

Thanks for the welcome and tips. I think I'm gonna like it here.