This Disappears When Logged In

Introducing the newest member to our family

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by pandora, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandora

pandora Member

Hi guys, we have a new member in our family, she is a 14 foot albino burmese python. We have named her lilith (lilly for short)
    she is settling in really well so far, will keep you all up dated. hope you like the pics.

Attached Files:

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Beautiful! Once I am settled in a home, and have modified a room to be snake-proof, I will be getting an albino burm (probably a rescue). In the meantime, I'll soak up all the pics you'll post and daydream.

3. Maya

Maya Elite Member

I will never own a Burmese, but love looking at the pictures.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on the newest addition! She's a beaut!

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Congrats on the newest member of your family. I fondly remember the day when my wife and I got our two beautiful burms. It was just over two years ago and we knew nothing at all about the care or husbandry of these gentle giants but we took them because the person we got them from said he was either going to let them go in Florida or he was going to kill them. I personally think he was just working on our emotions at the time but it worked and we could not be happier with them (and the other 15 snakes we have). I currently take them to the local community college and give lectures to the veterinary office assistant course so they can see the extent of some of the exotic animals they will come across.

6. pandora

pandora Member

I also contacted my daughters school, spoke to my mum who works in a school and spoke to various other school asking them if they would like us to bring in the snakes / tortoise etc and the skins, as I thought it would be good for the children to learn about them but I was told no. unfortunately due to the health and saftey laws in britain we are no longer allowed to take animals or skins into schools. personally I think it's wrong so many children no longer get to see snakes etc zoo's and other such places cost to much, everybody is too busy trying to degerm their lives and no longer take notice of the great animals, plants and such like around them. when I was at school they used to hold a weekend every year where all sorts of animals were brought in and we all got to look at them and learn about them it was great but I guess things change. or maybe I'm just old. lol. my childrens friends love coming to my house as they get to see all the different animals we have.

7. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

Yeah that is messed up the kids need to see that stuff on exotic animals. That is what got me into reptiles. This guy brought a 8ft red tail boa and I was like omg I got to have one. Got three now and a savannah monitor thanks to the school letting this guy bring his snakes to my school.

That is a beautiful burm best of luck with you and your new pet keep us posted she is going to get huge. YES!!! I love big snakes

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Burmese are beautiful animals and my wife would dearly like to have one. However I recognize that we have neither the room nor the budget to properly deal with such a beast!

As for the schools not letting animals in, that is becoming the norm, unfortunately. It is due in large part to the lawsuit happy world in which we live in. The real reason that many of the schools will not allow such displays is that their insurance companies are afraid of something happening and gettng sued!
    So the kids lose out on what could be a wonderful opportunity.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah, society is by-and-large far too germ-o-phobic. I work at the zoo, and when we let the kids touch an animal (usually a reptile) the poor kids get mobbed by a mom with a bottle of sanitizer a second later.

Germs are exercise for the immune system. I have my own theories on how all this sterilization is going to affect us. There is a good reason I don't use sanitizer, or antibiotic soaps.

Anyhow, We also do outreach programs - pack up animals and take them to schools. We are seeing a lot of cuts in those lately, but most of that is due to budget.

10. pandora

pandora Member

How are the future generations supposed to understand about looking after our planet, animals large small domestic and wild if the so called people in charge won't let them get the experence in just meeting some of them, so many times I have people say to me oh snakes you'll get samonella from them, or yuck how can you touch them there slimy. But guess what there not slimy they feel soft and wonderful. I have skins from each of my snakes (except the burmese at the moment) I have taken footage of pandora (my large boa) shedding I offered it to the school for show and tell and they turned me down flat the head teacher said he didn't want to scare any of the children or have parents disapproving. how could footage of a snake shedding scare children. if my children came home from school and said we saw a film of a snake shedding and did you no the skin is inside out and we saw actual skin> I'd think that was great at least then I would feel they had learnt something. my mum told me that she found a bird nest on the ground in her garden. so she took it in to school it had to be wrapped in cling film she had to wear gloves and the children even thou they never even touched it had to wash their hands afterwards with alchol cleanser. what on earth has happened to this world????

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

EVERY domestic animal that humans have in their homes/farms can carry salmonella, including ferrets (all rodents) cats, dogs, and all birds (not only chicken, parrots too - and birds shed it in their dander, which is airborne every time they fluff their feathers!)

12. pandora

pandora Member

I know this but I am just so fed up of people keep saying it, maybe we should all start living in bubbles. lol.
    my dad thinks it's great that my children get to live around all our animals, only thing is he's not personally keen on the snakes as he sais they give him the creeps. but I think they are growing on him as I keep catching him watching them sometimes with a little smile on his face. the other comment I get from some people is don't you think it's dangerous having snakes that big around your children especially the baby, I feel like saying to them duh I'm so thick I let them curl round them and have big hugs. lol (I am joking I don't let them lose with my babies about, however I do let them touch them when both my husband and I am around to supervise)
    they all live in houses that my husband built for them they are very secure, the burmese's pen is double skinned for extra security. I have even had the RSPCA out to look at them (thank you kind neighbour who thought we were in the wrong to keep snakes) but the inspectors were thrilled they thought all our animals were spoiled and had better living quarters than us. lol even asked if we were interested in becoming foster parents to any reptiles they may come across. unfortunately we don't own our house and probably would get permission. why is it that if someone doesn't understand something they will do their utmost to try and ruin it for others.
    anyway I will be taking some more pics later of lilith and will upload them today or tomorrow.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just a few points.
    Yes, but that is your choice to make. When dealing with a group of children, you have no way of knowing if they may have any pre-existing medical condition that might make them susceptable to the germs on the animals. The sanitizer is a reasonable precaution.
    Whether we like it or not, salmonella IS a legitimate concern. People HAVE died from it!
    Again, in all fairness, these were legitimate precautions. As someone who, as a boy, poked around in wild bird nests, I can tell you that they are really nasty things. They are full of all sorts of lice and other crawlies! Knowing what I know I would not bring one into my home without sterilizing it first.
    But, unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are irresponsible enough to do just that.
    I once got into it on another forum with a person who worked in a zoo, She posted a picture of an infant sitting in the coils of a big burmese! Her response was that there were four people nearby and the snake was "tame and wouldn't even think of harming the infant!"
    Needless to say I ripped her a new one!:mad:
    How often do we see on the news where a large constrictor has killed its owner?
    Usually due to the owner doing something extremely stupid.
    This paints a very unflattering, albeit undeserved, picture of us to others.

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Those are all very good points Merlin. It is up to us as responsible reptile owners to ensure the safety of not only the animals in our care, but that of the people surrounding us and ourselves. As always we have to overcome the predjudices that people with "cute and furry" animals don't always get thrown at them. As a responsible owner, I always have an extra person to help me when I take Ramses and Isis (my Burmese children), I also carry a bottle of antibacterial hand cleaner with me for anyone who comes into contact with them. I also explain that while my babies are relatively tame,they are also in possession on a primitive brain system and may bite or squeeze out of defense if they feel threatened. For the most part all of my snakes are well received by the general public at large. Education is the key.

15. pandora

pandora Member

thanks merlin, I am not saying I disagree with some points made what I do dissagree with is people who no nothing about snakes or other animals in some cases constantly making negative comments. we use hand cleanser when we have been handling any of our animals not just the reptiles, but the way things are going the next generations wont even know what a snake is. half the children I know have never even seen a cow. it's a cow they are really comon, so what about the rarer or more exotic creatures, what was wrong with some of the older ways having show and tell etc etc. I love watching animal programes but I have noticed for some strange reason (unless you have cable etc) that on normal tv, that's 5 channels over here. the animal programes are shown in the early hours of the night/morning. when I was growing up there was only 4 channels (and I'm only 30) but every sunday and a couple of times a week there would be some sort of wildlife program on.

16. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

Congratulations for your newest addition. She is beautiful!
    All it has been said here made me think about the comment my mum made when I told her we are getting a ball python: "I am not even going to visit you anymore!" (by the way, we live 4 thousands miles away).
    Today I was talking to my best friend about how difficult it is to be a mother and how many times I wonder if I am doing a good job with my 3 year old son. I told her: "I just don't want to be a close-minded mother"...she replied "Don't worry. You are not.".
    I hope my love for all creatures, great and small, is going to be passed on to my son. I hope he will learn to respect his fellow human beings as well as animals/insects/plants.
    My mum used to tell me: "Wash your hands after you touch the dog! Don't let her lick your face! You are going to catch something!". Now she repeats the same to my son when she sees him touching our cats. I always tell her: "I have more chances of catching a illness/disease from another person (or the food we eat for that matter) than an animal".
    Yes, it is crazy: I think I developed a contact dermatitis (allergy reaction) to all these anti-bacterial soaps and I now have to go around with a normal soap bar in my purse or in my car as you can't find anything else around! It is crazy!

17. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

This is true my girlfriend likes my reptiles, but after she touches them she uses her sanitizer and not just with pets but everything. She washes her hands like twenty times a day and I do when I shower and she is sick like every month I tell her you immune system is week try using less soap lol .

18. Maya

Maya Elite Member

How sad to try to fit this whole beautiful diverse planet into the human narrow zone of comfort.

19. pandora

pandora Member

Not that any human would like to admit but we are selfish, we only think of ourselves first and what we think would be best for us and our offspring, then we try to merge the rest of the world into our comort zones.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yes, but we can work on expanding our comfort zones. I'm making a very conscious effort to think about tarantulas in a way that does not include genocide. So far, it seems to be working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.