This Disappears When Logged In

Introducing Preshuz!

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by annarawrr, Oct 6, 2011.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Hello everyone! I normally post in the green iguana forum and I thought I should give my snake some of the spotlight too. His name is Preshuz and he's a plumbeous water snake (enhydris plumbea) and is indigenous to Southeast Asia. I think they might be endangered in some places but here in Malaysia we have plenty :) I had a lot of trouble in terms of husbandry because most people have never heard of a plumbeous, and many told me to keep him as I would a garter snake. After about a week or so of hardcore research I found a guy with the same snake and he kept it in a 100% aquatic setup with just enough land area for the snake to bask on. It's a good thing I found out myself because even the breeder I got him from just told me to keep him damp with a cocopeat bedding.

Anyway, he's been with me for almost four months and he's such a sweet little guy. Puts up a struggle when held though! At 55cm he's about 10cm short of his adult size, but many animals under my care tend to grow much larger than average XD Here are some pictures of him I just managed to take today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to give him a nice big juicy piece of fish for allowing me this little photoshoot! :)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Gorgeous snake! Wish I could help, sorry

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very nice looking snake.
    Two things though.
    First are you aware that it is venomous?
    It is rear fanged and the venom is not potent enough to be fatal to humans, unless you have an allergic reaction to it. However it is enough to cause pain, itching, and swelling.
    Also feeding it pieces of fish is not sufficient. You should be giving it whole fish. Feeding whole organisms provide them with a variety of nutrients because of the foods in the prey's stomach as well as the various organs. Feeding peices of cut up fish lacks this.
    They will also take frogs in the wild.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Can't say I've ever seen one before.

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks everyone!

@Merllin yes, I knew they were rear fanged before I got him. I breed feeder guppies for him but they are very small so I have to feed him many in one go, and if I don't have the time I give him store-bought fish instead. I've seen him catch his own meals and the venom actually takes quite a while to take effect. One fish he caught took so long to die that he gave up and let it go, when I was certain it was dead I used tongs to feed it to him!

I decided to get him because I'm squeamish about feeding fuzzies and pinkies... Little did I know that gutting and cutting up my first fish would make me retch so much that I'd give up and just buy pre-cut slices!

6. justor

justor Elite Member

That's a cool lookin snake. So he lives in a fully aquatic tank? That's pretty cool I've never heard of keeping a snake like that.

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks! But yeah, neither had I! Everyone was giving me garter snake care sheets but something just didn't feel right, he just didn't seem very at home! Here is his setup, he climbs up into the vines to bask or to relax at night. This was before I added his feeder guppies and cleaner fish. He's diurnal so I'm guessing he sleeps on the vines so he doesn't have to keep coming up for air! You can see him peeking out the right side of the cave mouth :)

[​IMG]

8. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

That is really neat. I've never seen this species before.

9. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thank you! He is rather cool looking. Since he's nearly 100% aquatic his eyes and nostrils are right on top and in the front of his head, kinda like a gator or an anaconda. It's a bit more noticeable in the second pic!