This Disappears When Logged In

Interested in Chameleon

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by fishman007, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

I am interested in getting a baby chameleon but i was wondering how can i modify a full grown chameleon enclosure for a baby until they grow?

2. SuperFastSlug

SuperFastSlug Active Member

I got a young chameleon that was about 3 months old, and just tossed him in a 2'x2'x4' enclosure. That will last through adulthood. Never had any problems! It will probably be fine as long as you make sure he is getting food, frequently must, and set up a drip system. Make sure to pay very close attention to your animal's needs. Chameleons are very delicate animals!

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Our 3 month old veiled chameleon just moved into his 3x2x4' screen enclosure. What species are you looking to get? These animals are not as simple to take care of as some people suggest. Keeping the humidity correct in a screen enclosure is a bit of a challenge and I still don't have it down exactly perfect.

There is a lot of great information here on veiled chameleons: Veiled Chameleon Caresheet (Chamaeleo calyptratus)

Whit_Whit likes this.
  4. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

a veiled, are you using a dripper or mister or fogger system? Maybe i should invest in a mister or fogger if they keep the humidity better?

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

for now, we are constantly hand spraying him. Tomorrow I'm going to purchase a humidifier to modify into a mister and set it on a timer. From what I have read, the misters you buy at petco wear out quickly. We put ice on the top of the screen and it melts and slowly drips onto the leaves and branches.

Whit_Whit likes this.
  6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The adult sized enclosure is fine to use as long as there is lots of cover. As for the drip system....
    Drip Watering System

7. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

so just drip and spray ? if i got a mister would i still need to drip? Do foggers work? Also, would the waterfall and fogger be suitable for a chameleon, such as the Medium Exo Terra Waterfall and Fogger ?

8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I hav seen where people put the end of the mister hose outside the top of the screen cage so there is still tons of mist but some condences on the screen enough to cause a constant drip.

9. fishman007

fishman007 Active Member

could i use a Zilla Slimline 25UVB for uvb with a 100W powersun for heating (not the 100W 5.0 UVB one)

i mean zoo med repti basking spot lamp

10. NorCal55

NorCal55 Member

Did you get a little guy yet? If so how is it doing? You would be fine with a large cage as long as your Cham can find food. It would be a good idea to cup feed in an adult enclosure with having a baby. Good luck :)

11. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

I dont know if this helps but i got the RS400 monsoon misting system , a drip system and i spray occasionally too. i dont know if it sounds like overkill but the humidity is staying up and he seems to be keeping hydrated. And my ficus is staying alive! lol

12. Akronic

Akronic New Member

What about trying to put in some kinda partition, or lowering the ceiling. what are the dimensions of the cage you have? I'm new to chams so could you explain why you would need to make it smaller? Will they get lost and be able to find food/water? If you put the basking lamp up top they should be able to find their way to the basking area right.

13. Whit_Whit

Whit_Whit Member

the ice on top of the cage is a GREAT idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.