This Disappears When Logged In

Inside of Mouth is Pale-What Does It Mean?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by marya1962, Mar 22, 2014.

1. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

I have a six-year old female boa. She has been to the vet in Apple Valley before, he didn't say anything. But she saw a new vet in Barstow and he said it was not good that the inside of her mouth was so pale. He said it should be a healthy pink (like the ball python's mouth's inside was, a reddish pink). The inside of Silk's mouth was sort of pinkish white. She has 55-60 percent humidity, 80 and 95 degree hot spots and an overall ambient of 60-70 right now. Her ambient should rise with the house temp over time. Her cage has an overhead heater and an UTH. The ball python is kept in similar conditions. I've never seen the inside of a boa's mouth before other than mine. Is she okay or was the vet trying to get more money out of me? As far as I am aware she doesn't have a respiratory illness (no bubbling, foaming, or wheezing).

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A healthy pale pink is average. I'll post a pic of my Boas mouth, for comparison.

I'd simply be watchful. Stomatitis is not just a simple case of a mouth being pale, it usually includes pus, sloughing skin/gums, and an inability to close the mouth properly, due to swelling of oral tissues. If the mouth looks healthy, and the snake is healthy overall, I wouldn't worry too much.

This picture was taken a few months ago. She was yawning and realigning her jaws after a meal. She has never had any health problems.

Attached Files:

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Pale mucous membranes can be a sign of anemia. Its important to know what is a normal color for the species. In general reptiles have lower red cell counts than mammals, so reptile gums will indeed look pale in comparison. Blood work would be the best way to see if there was indeed a problem.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Is your Vet a herp vet or just a regular vet. I ask because that is a common sign for dogs or cats but as stated before snakes are usually very pale. All of mine have pale gums and are healthy animals.