This Disappears When Logged In

Injured Tarantula?!?!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Desirai, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Desirai

Desirai Member

Yes yes my other posta bout my "dying" (read: molting) tarantula is still on the front page ...

We have a t. stirmi, about 8 inches, female. Age unknown.

Her back right leg, she is walking with a limp (and holding up the leg from touching the ground) and it is leaking fluid from the joins. Not a steady dripping, just a little bubble of clear liquid. I assume since she is limping while walking, she can feel some sort of pain or discomfort. Can spiders feel pain?

Anyway, the internet says to pat it with a piece of tissue paper, which we have done, but how do we determine the cause of the leaking?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Did she just finish molting? You should just let it heal for now. Make sure her temps and humidity are within the proper range and if she will accept food then feed her. Maybe immobilize it before ha d so she doesn't injure it further.

3. Desirai

Desirai Member

She has not molted since we have had her. She really needs to because the poor thing looks really beat up. She has scars on her legs and abdomen and a huge patch of bald where she has kicked so many hairs. I'm not sure who had this spider before us but I think they were mean to her. When we first got her she was very aggressive and kicked hairs and hissed and would attack her feeding tongs.

Now she lets us handle her (within reason, only a few minutes before she gets agitated)

4. mshrmheadcharge

How often does she eat? Does she have anything to climb on that could have resulted in a fall?

5. Desirai

Desirai Member

No, she has a hide but it's a little piece of wood like you buy at the pet store and is just an inch or 2 taller than she is. UNLESS she climbed up onto the top of the screen somehow and fell that way, she's in a 30 gallon tank.

She was eating about once a week, she hasn't eaten in about 10 days now, we did give her a dubia roach before I posted this topic, she killed the roach but did not eat it. Boyfriend went back to check on her after we researched the tissue paper method and she was sitting off to the side with the dead roach.

Also I have noticed that every day I go to feed/look at the critters in our critter room Mizz Fluffy (spider in question) is ALWAYS sitting on her water bowl.

I didn't really think anything of it til the internet said that spiders can be dehydrated.

6. mshrmheadcharge

What is the humidity?

7. Desirai

Desirai Member

Humidity is 80%