This Disappears When Logged In

Injured Keelback

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by KhantiMetta, Jul 26, 2015.

1. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

I have been trying to help my friend with a snake he rescued from being killed and we decided it is a chequred keelback. It has a small injury near its mouth, perhaps from when the people were trying to kill him, and he isn't eating. He has had this snake for 4 days now and it isn't at all aggressive but it is still very active and likes to explore.
    We could really use help in knowing how to get it to eat. There are no reptile experts where he lives so there aren't many people he can go to. He's tried giving it frogs and I have suggested worms or fish. We are also wondering his the small wound by his mouth is keeping him from eating. If you guys have better knowledge of keelbacks and have any advice we would really appreciate it!

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Was this a wild catch or through one of the reptile rescue sites? The common name " chequred keelback" generally is linked to a Taiwan water snake, not something I think would be out in the wild in IN. Thus being in danger of idiot snake killers out there.

Pictures would really help...

3. KhantiMetta

Yes it was wild he doesn't live here he lives in Asia. Some people were convinced it was venomous so they were trying to kill it. I will post a picture in a moment.

4. KhantiMetta

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Frogs and fish are part of it's natural diet, but I would imagine this snake is stressed well past happy. The wound doesn't show in the picture so I can't comment on it's severity but I'm sure it is not helping matters. Plus we have not clue as to possible internal damage from it's attackers.

Frogs, lizards, and fish are typical but it's not always hard to get them to eat other items, many snakes are opportunistic feeders. Rub a pinky with lizard or frog small could trigger feeding but your friend is going to have to leave the snake alone for some time to calm down and heal.

Not to mention we have no clue how the snake is being housed....

6. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

As said above the condition of the enclosure will matter greatly. I would try to find some sort of. Care sheet somewhere to get the conditions appropriate. Definitely leave it be with little disturbance as possible. You could also put a couple live fish in an appropriate sized water bowl just to swim around in there and if he feels up to eating he may just go for it on his own.