This Disappears When Logged In

Injured Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Seb B., Aug 1, 2017.

?

What should I do with it?

1. Let it go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep it

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Buy a five gallon terrarium to house it in

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Seb B.

Seb B. Member

I caught a gecko about 10 minutes ago and I was looking at it and I noticed that it's front right leg was limp, possibly broken. It is quite small and my initial reaction was to not let it go because it is weak, I do have a 10 gallon terrarium however it already has two anoles in it. What should I do?

2. Seb B.

Seb B. Member

3. Wolf555666

Wolf555666 Active Member

I'd say keep it in something separate from the others. Just be sure to let it eat and rest. Also if you can avoid holding it, that may bring stress levels down which can help.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You could try rehabbing it, you might be able to keep it in something relatively small as long as you can achieve a proper temperature gradient, fill it up with cover and hides so he can get rest, feed calcium rich foods and provide uv light. Phoenix worms are great for bones if you have them available. Dusting other food with calcium will help as well.

5. Seb B.

Seb B. Member

I have Flukers freeze-dried crickets and it says that they are full of calcium, will they work just as well?

6. AmityReptiles

I'm not sure as I only feed live or freshly killed crickets. But I have heard freeze dried isn't usually very nutritious. If you have a clean source of live crickets that would be best, then dust them with calcium/d3 supplement and kill them so the gecko doesn't have to run around chasing them on a bad leg. Phoenix worms are great for bones though if you can find them (been known to reverse mbd in reptiles) but if you can't, gutloaded dusted crickets should be fine. Try and have a good variety of insects for him to eat though.

7. Seb B.

Seb B. Member

It says that it's gut loaded with calcium.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The freeze dried crickets are junk. Crickets should be viewed as a nutrient delivery system. Most of the nutrition comes from the foods that the cricket has been feeding on. Thus the term gutloading. Saying that they are gutloaded with calcium is just a marketing ploy. When you feed live crickets you know exactly what they are gut loaded with.
    Additionally most insect eaters are triggered by movement. This fact is why there is even a vibrating food dish to go with the freeze dried stuff.
    But most people I have talked to stated the lizard was scared of the bowl

AmityReptiles likes this.
  9. AmityReptiles

I would like to meet the guy who invented a "vibrating food dish" and ask him some serious questions about his mental health... Along with the guy that thought putting reptiles in a substrate of ground up antacid tablets was a good idea (calci-sand) ...lol

Seb B. likes this.
  10. Seb B.

Seb B. Member

What calcium product do you use?

11. Seb B.

Seb B. Member

B
    He made a speedy recovery and is back to his normal self! However his fellow gecko escaped and now lives under my dresser.

12. AmityReptiles

Hi, sorry I just saw this. I use repashy all in one, but you can use reptical, I have alittle of that and it works great as a calcium supplement.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have trouble finding calcium you can use human type 100 % calcium supplements from the drugstore.
    Back in the day, before the reptile craze got rolling that was all we had.