This Disappears When Logged In

Infrared Heat Gun Thermometers?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by malphos101, Feb 4, 2011.

1. malphos101

malphos101 Well-Known Member

Are these a worthwhile investment? How good are they at measuring ambient temperature in an enclosure? If they are a good investment, anyone have any recommendations?

2. Rob

Rob Elite Member

They dont measure ambient temps but they are great for surface temps. I dont know about the different ones i have a 10 year old one that i got for use on cars. From what i hear these are good http://tempgun.com

3. malphos101

malphos101 Well-Known Member

So for ambient temp I should just stick with digital thermometers from a hardware store?

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

That would be the tool for the job. Many members here recommend owning a temp gun as well as the digital thermometer. They each have numerous uses in herping.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The tempguns are for reading temperatures of surfaces. They will not register air(or glass). But they are definately a worthwhile investment.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Harbor frieght has some for 9.99 or so. How good it is though.

7. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I tried looking at reviews and the biggest complaint seems to be inaccuracy of a couple of degrees. Though most were comparing them to a regular thermometer which would give them a different reading anyhow, and those comparing to higher brand temp guns were saying about 2 degrees off. I think it would be good enough so long as it is compared to another and reads close enough.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yea, when you're used a temp gun for basking temps a few degrees doesn't really matter.
    They will give you a quick reading for ambient temps at substrate level. Which is I guess a surface temp of the substrate.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

If you get one, don't do what I did, I pointed the gun at the basking spot through the glass! Needless to say I got the reading of the glass temperature and not the basking spot.
    I love mine, they are also great for around the house, checking the weather striping to see if there are any weak spot, heat loss.
    I got mine when it was on sale!

10. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

The temp gun that you see on this site will indeed read air temps along with surface temps if you place it on the surface. I beleive it is the Infrared ones that do not or have a hard time getting a correct reading of just ambient air.

I just tried mine [same as a bove] for ambient and in the room where my furnace thermostate is and it reads 71.6 while the reading on my thermostate itself is 72. If I enter the cool part of my house it reads 64.9. So they do read correct ambient temps. :)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The tempguns do not read air temperatures. The way they work is by the light bouncing back off of a solid object. And since the farther you are from your target the bigger the area that is measured. You may be getting some sort of reading off a wall or something.

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with merlin, there is usually a distance that is recommended on the packaging.