This Disappears When Logged In

Information on Brazilian Rainbow Boas? Hypo Vs Non-hypo? Ball Python Vs BRB

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by KushQueen420, Sep 2, 2011.

1. KushQueen420

KushQueen420 New Member

ok so I've been debating between getting a ball python or a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. The BRB that I handled had an amazing personality; it was not timid but also unagressive. Just seemed very friendly. He/she is about 2-3 months old.

One reason I am shying away from getting a ball python is because I hear that they can be very picky eaters. The other reason is because of how much I enjoyed handling the BRB

I have a few questions though. What is the difference between a Brazilian Rainbow Boa and a "Hypo" Brazilian Rainbow Boa? and are there benefits to feeding them live mice as opposed to frozen ones?

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Re: Information on Brazilian Rainbow Boas? Hypo Vs Non-hypo? Ball Python Vs

I don't have any snakes, but I've heard the BRB's are pickier eaters than ball pythons. Frozen mice are better because they don't fight back and do not carry any bacteria or parasites that could be transfered to the snake. And I believe "Hypo" just refers to a color morph.

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hypo is a morph, it's basically a color mutation that gets rid of the black pigment, making them lighter looking.

Brazilian Rainbow Boas get a little bigger than ball pythons, and require more humidity. If you are willing to build/buy a proper cage(not a tank) you will have an easier time keeping in that humidity. Get a big water bowl, keep it on the warm side of the tank(but remember not to get too warm, hot temperatures kill these guys) and the water will evaporate--if there is not screen at the top of the cage the water in the air will spread through the cage, keeping the humidity up. Have vents for air, but keep them lower to the ground if possible to hold in heat and humidity.

BRBs I honestly feel aren't that much more difficult than ball pythons, especially considering the picky eater issue. They would be a great beginner snake if you remember to follow caresheets exactly.. Get the temps right, get humidity right, make sure you feed on a good schedule, and you have a healthy snake.

They are known to be bitey as babies but tend to tame down very well. All baby snakes are a little more nippy than adults though, so just expect that. We are big, they are small! It's scary!

Some people think live feeders are better for snakes, but there are so many risks that go along with feeding live. Live prey can bite your snake which is not fun to deal with. Sometimes these bites can be really severe too! No one really knows how much/if any nutrients are lost in the freezing process. Some people who feed f/t will give their snake an occasional fresh killed rodent. Even buying live and killing them yourself is also more humane on the rodent(being squeezed to death is not a quick painless death like spinal separation/C02 is)

I personally prefer to feed f/t. My snakes have grown fine and healthy. Haven't found a reason to switch to live personally.

I say you could get a BRB if you REALLY do your research! When I had one for a short time she was not a picky eater at all(boas+picky eaters don't really go together that often!)

4. KushQueen420

KushQueen420 New Member

Thanks Kat! =)

I was just going to get a tank because the people at the aquarium shop that I am hopefully going to get my BRB from said it's just as good but what type of cage specifically would you recomend? Is there a DUI website I could take a look at or could you just give me a run through of what I'd need?

5. justor

justor Elite Member

I think you mean D-I-Y lol. You could basically just make a plywood box... something like 4' x 2' x 2'. Check out the "reptile enclosures" link at the top of the page for some inspiration.

I just browsed this site real quickly, but it looks like it is the type of thing you're looking for: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/ghead/

6. KushQueen420

KushQueen420 New Member

lmfaoo freudian slip

thanks so much

7. Flint

Flint Elite Member

My rainbow was my first snake, and I have never regretted it. Best snake I've ever dealt with whatsoever. He is unbelievably well mannered (I seriously cannot **** him off, I've tried lol) he is completely gorgeous, and his feeding response is ravenous. He has never missed a meal, never hissed or flinched while being handled, and is just a joy to own.

I will stress the importance of proper caging. I already replied to your other thread about caging a BRB. Humidity is of utmost importance, especially for a baby. I kept mine in a tank when I first got him, but I didn't cover the top and I didn't have the right substrate. The humidity was too low, and he got a severe respiratory infection that developed into pneumonia. I nearly lost him, but luckily after a few weeks of daily medication and over $600 at the vet, he has never had a problem since. So long as you are diligent on upkeeping his humidity and temps (make sure you get a thermostat!!! best piece of reptile equipment I own) a rainbow can be a fantastic pet.

8. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I knew you'd chime in, Zack! :D

But yeah, if you have any other questions about BRBs feel free to ask! They are personally one of my favorite snakes! Also a secret hint-- if you want a bright snake but can't afford a hypo, het hypo outcrosses are known to grow up to be SUPER bright oranges and reds! They have the natural wild look but with a little bit of extra saturation, it's pretty cool!

If you have a facebook, check out this page-You can't see it if you aren't logged in, but you don't need to be his friend to see his photos. These are his het hypo breeders!
    Facebook

I only mention it because you mentioned hypos. I'm thinking about picking up a little het girl myself :) Normals are just as awesome, they are darker so their iridescence shows up even more I think! They are all great animals

9. Flint

Flint Elite Member

That's true the normals darken up a bit with age.

This is Snakey the day I got him at roughly 3-5 months old;

flintyoung.jpg
    By nocold at 2010-01-08

This was about his first birthday;

flintjan.jpg
    By nocold at 2010-01-08

And this is at roughly 2.5 years old;

riverside2011012700040.jpg
    By nocold at 2011-01-27

They don't grow terribly fast, but most boas don't. He sure loves his food though lol.

Beautiful snakes, the camera has no hope to capture the iridescence. Oh, and even with exceptional humidity, they always enjoy a good bath :)

bathtime8.jpg
    By nocold at 2011-02-22

Keep up with the questions!! That's why we're here :)

Attached Files: