This Disappears When Logged In

Info for a noob?

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by GiftigeSpinne, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiftigeSpinne

GiftigeSpinne Elite Member

I have always wanted a snake but my dad didnt like them but he was holding his friends pithon the other day and realised that were were actual pets and not vicious monsters and is now considering letting me get one (as soon as i pay off my $300 bearded dragon tab ;) )
    and i was wondering what a good breed you would suggest for somebody quite new to snakes. I do have experince with lizrds tho. MY mom once had a Boa but it had a problem with a stoner grandfather while it was shedding and got a rat in its cage and umm the rat was psyco..... anyways.... and any and as much info as you could give would be very much apreciated :D thanks.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Corn snakes are an excellent starter snake.

3. GiftigeSpinne

Thats what I thought but one prblem... MY father doesnt like anything much smaller than a garder snake he cant help but think of them as "wormy" and is peranoid that it will be able to slip out through the bars.

4. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

I like the Ball Pythons, very friendly, very tame!

Steven

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Cornsnakes dont stay wormy very long, lol. They are easy to care for and do not require alot of space. Ball pythons are another favorite of mine, not wormy at all. The only problem with them is they can be picky eaters and stress out their owners :p. I didnt have a problem when they were babies,,,, but they did get a little picky as they got older.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Without a doubt the best starter starter snake is a cornsnake. Docile, colorful, and easy to feed and house.
    You don't keep snakes in cages with "bars". Sterilites or aquariums are much more secure. And all snakes are accomplished escape artists so you will have make sure that your enclosure is secure. Ball pythons are great snakes. i have two. However their feeding quirks can drive new keepers nuts!

7. Allecto

Allecto Elite Member

I was also curious what sort of cage she might be using for a snake that involved 'bars'.

8. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

Yup, cornsnakes are good starters for any species. You mentioned a python though, I think ball pythons are a fantastic snake, easy to get along with, now granted there's no such thing as a true beginner's herp, you need to educate yourself on whatever animal you decide to get, but a BP is a great place to start. They're a bit slower and more calm than cornsnakes in general.

9. GiftigeSpinne

Alright thanks! :D

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I will also chime in and state that a corn is a great "beginner" snake. They are very forgiving when husbandry isn't 100% accurate. They are, as stated, docile and come in a variety of colors.

Ball Pythons are also wonderful snakes. Their husbandry is a bit more advanced than a corns. (primarily humidity) but they too are great snakes.

Ball Pythons, unlike cornsnakes, will eat rats as they mature. Rats are more expensive, and are larger. This should be taken into consideration.

One of the first things you should know is that both species of snake will readily take F/T prey. (Frozen Thawed) You do not, and should not feed it live prey. As you mentioned in your first post, a rat or mouse can go "psycho" and cause great harm to the snake. (They aren't actually going psycho, the mouse or rat is doing what comes natural to them. They are trying to survive and the only way to do that is kill the predator before they get killed.)

We have caresheets on both species here on the site. Have a look at them.

Cornsnakes

Ball Pythons

I currently own one of each and think they are both great snakes.

(My corn is anything but "wormy". She is around 5-5.5 feet long and has the girth of a silver dollar at her thickest part.)

11. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

A Brazilian rainbow boa was my first snake and he was an excellent starter snake for me. Ate enthusiastically, was never nippy or snappy at all (unlike my current juvenile jungle carpet python, though she is getting a bit more mellow), no problems shedding, and loved hanging out on my hand while I read a book. As long as I kept him in a Rubbermaid box with a moist hide box, he was good to go. I think if you understand the upkeep of herps, like your lizards, you maybe could branch out a bit beyond getting just a corn or ball. I love both species, but others you could think about are:

-rosy boas. Make sure to get a captive, though that goes for any species! They are getting quite rare in their native areas because of the pet trade
    -sand boas, though they keep pretty short and have neat coloring, they definitely look very "wormy"
    -rainbow boas, if you find a nice amiable hatchling/juvenile
    -milk snakes and king snakes, though they aren't usually too awful bitey, can be flighty if they aren't used to being handled

This is not an all encompassing list, but just something to think about. Looking for a responsible breeder is a great choice so that they can help you if you have questions or concerns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.