This Disappears When Logged In

Indetification and Care of a Wild Turtle?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Khorne, May 28, 2014.

1. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

My mother found this in the backyard and decided she may want to keep it, so I need to know the type of turtle it is and what we need for it. Sorry for the poor camera work, its being held by a five year old. photo.jpg

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

First of all, where are you? Knowing what turtles might be native to your region narrows it down a lot.

3. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

North Carolina, the Fuquay area specifically.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

5. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Thinking Eastern Box Turtle, more than a year old.
    What would be the bare minimum required to start with? Would a simple bag of Top Soil work as substrate for the time being?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just put it back where you found it!
    I don't usually jump in on the "If it's wild,... leave it in the wild!" argument but in this case I make an exception.
    Box turtles are declining in most of their range due to habitat destruction and people taking them for pets. This removes them from an already limited breeding pool.
    They are not a good beginners species and are pretty picky in their requirements.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Have to agree, if you want a pet turtle/tortoise, there are plenty of better captive bred choices available. These things are all but gone from my area for these reasons, that and idiots who think it's a joke to hit them with a vehicle.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah box turtles are in my area protected and the entire ten + yeara ive live here only found 1...... also wild reptiles are usually parasite ridden and if put in captive conditions they parasites will multiply in the enclosure and will kill the turtle..... but this is the same thing that has happened to the critically endangered bog turtles...... people destroy habitats and then as mentioned take them when they find them for pets and think it is fun to run them over and the population will continue to drop and eventually they will die out.... it is best to leave them in the wild where they are found.... do not put them away from where you found them because they will just come back to the same place you found them.... they basically have a built in magnetic GPS and will go back to the same place..... so just put him back in the place you found him and he will be on his way :)

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And since it was in your mom's backyard, if conditions are favorable, it may just hang around. There was one in my mom's backyard and garden for several years. It took great delight in biting V shaped hunks out of the bottom of her tomatoes!

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah i love box turtles....... they are probably my favorite right after the sulcatas...... but if your mom really wants a box turtle then i would just get one off of a reputable breeder... they have various types like the western box, the ornate box, and some other ones......

11. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

The problem with letting it back out is we have large dog that we let run lose in the yard, and he'll likely end up eating the turtle. When we found the turtle the dog was terrorizing it.
    We are trying to get it an outdoor habitat however, something large and walled off area for it to live in. I figure that would be better than inside, which is just further distancing it from its natural state. Its about as close to setting it free as we can safely get.

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

then put it somewhere further away when the dog is in, but if you are planning on that, before you do, contact your local DCNR for regulations.....