This Disappears When Logged In

Indestructible Mister?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, I have killed about 4 different misters recently, and I'm getting kind of frustrated with the need to replace misters and parts on a monthly basis. Is there anything that is indestructible? or close?

Recent Casualties include Misty Mate (two of those)

Mist-R-Lizard

and the Spectracide 1 gallon garden sprayer (This one lasted the shortest of all...)

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

What kind of mister are you wanting? A whole system or what?

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's odd. I've had my spectracide one for over a year now. Did the nozzle come loose? That happens to mine on occasion, so it will just drip a lot.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The tips need to be regularly cleaned in water/vinegar as well.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And if you use them for a bleach water solution you need to clean them thorougly or the bleach will cause the workings to deteriorate.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Like a spray bottle? I get the dollar ones at walmart and they have lasted the 3 years I've had Kermit but I have water in one and vinegar in the other to clean with.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The pump actually broke, the little pegs that lock into the lid that allow you to remove the lid for refilling, broke tight off. Maybe Mine was freakish, and just had some flaws.

I need something big, and kinda heavy duty - I use it on my water dragon enclosure (6x3x2 feet), so I don't want to have to stand there all day, or do it dozens of times a day.

The hand misters work great for my smaller cages. I like the pump-it-myself kind, that way a power outage won't leave me without a mister (especially during hurricane season.). Tips, hoses and everything else are clean and functional, and my mister is only used for plain tap water - no bleach or chemicals.

Of all the misters I have had, they inevitably blow a hose, coupling, pump, or other major component that requires replacing the whole unit. (Never a seal, tip or anything i can buy replacement parts for.)

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Weird. Do you have the receipt? I would take it back to the store where you got it from, and see if they will exchange it.

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

The **** on the side of the handle broke off?

I have had that happen before. I know it will probably have pressure so here is what to do.

First you'll need some channel lock pliers. Take off the hose that runs to the nozzles. DO this slowly if you have pressure, or do it fast so all the air will rush out.
    Pull the handle up and you can use the pliers to grab the top part of the pump and loosen it. It will work, I have had to do it a few times.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

we have a lowes gift card, so we are tentatively gonna get a new mister tomorrow. I tried depressurizing it (let all the water run out of it, and left nozzle in on position overnight) and opening it again next morning. It might take pliers to get it part, it's worth a try.

11. ANNA M BRAUN

ANNA M BRAUN Member

I use pro-mist out of New York. It has never had any problems, and i have had it for over 10 years. And I got their filter that you use in line.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Thanks, I may look them up.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

we went back to the hardware store, and they had the 2 gallon Spectracide misters on sale, and it ended up being cheaper to get one of those than the 1 gallon. We're gonna give it a try on the chance that the first one had some flaw. This one has a depressurizing valve. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.