This Disappears When Logged In

Inconsistent Boa Wheeze/Whistle

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by BlameEllipsis, Oct 22, 2012.

1. BlameEllipsis

BlameEllipsis New Member

Backstory: Over a year ago I got a rescued female 5-6' red tail boa in perfect health as my first snake however I'm not a first time reptile owner.  The last few months I had her in the care of a friend while I was doing construction on my home.  I took her back after the conditions I found her in on a surprise visit.  I didn't want her inhaling dust kicked up by gutting/insulating & drywalling a 100 year old house.  Now she's back with me, slightly underweight with clean water and a clean tank.  I don't think that her temps or humidity where properly maintained.

Her setup:  She's recently been placed in a bigger tank and it took me about 2 days of monitoring to get the lamps & heat emitters set up to maintain one side of the tank at 80-85F and the other side at 90-95F depending on the time of day.  I keep a fogger running to maintain a humidity level at 60% and bumped up to 80% when she's shedding.  And I also mist daily to keep the substrate moist but not soaked.  Substrate is a 50/50 mixture of coconut fiber & cypress mulch.  During the changing of the lighting setup & switches her tank got too hot mid day and as a result she burrowed into the substrate.

The problem:  She is now wheezing which didn't happen when she first came home.  It just started within the last 48 hours but it isn't consistent and doesn't seem to happen more or less when her head is up or down.  She is the opposite of lethargic.  She just ate less than a week ago.  She's got no obvious mucus in her mouth or nose.  She has she'd within the last few weeks but she is shedding fairly often since she's in the middle of a growth spurt.

What I've done: I bumped up the humidity in her tank to 80%.  I just gave her a warm bath and attempted to clean the nostril areas with a Qtip and I'm so glad she's a docile snake.   She had a little of the coconut fiber in her nostrils and in her mouth which was cleared away.  She has no mites and other than being on the skinny side and the wheeze/whistle she doesn't have any other signs of sickness.

My thoughts:  I'm thinking she may have inhaled some of the coconut fiber. 

But I'm a first time nervous snake mom and I'm concerned I'm missing something.  Any recommendations/thoughts?  I'm monitoring her closely and if it doesn't get better going to take her to a vet.  There's an amazing vet school in the area and I don't want to run the risk that she's got a RI. 

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I was also thinking that she may have inhaled something. I would almost rule out an RI because she was too hot and not too cold. Unless it was something that she picked up while in the other house..... Just incase you can bump up the temps slightly and a Vet check never hurt anyone :) See how she does first and if you can get anything else out of her nose. Hopefully that's all it is...

3. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i would say get rid of that bedding, maybe try non-printed newspaper for a week or two. i dont use particulates at all for any of my herps, not worth the risks in my opinion.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I've tried that coconut fiber once. It is very dusty I guess you'd say. Get rid of it. I use shredded newspaper and my snakes burrow in that. Pretty genius of them. I agree a vet check wouldn't hurt but to be safe both of those beddings really horrible for dust. Let us know what happens.