This Disappears When Logged In

Improper Husbandry

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Nov 27, 2004.

?

Which problem do you feel is most prevalent in the hobby?

1. Improper temps

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Improper lighting

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Improper diet

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Improper caging

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Other (please specify)

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  6. All of the above

37 vote(s)
    51.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Which one of these problems do you feel is most prevalent in the hobby and why?

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I chose other because I feel there is just a general lack of education by the people selling the herps to the people buying the herps.

3. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

That's a good point Jay, it's kind of where I got the idea for this poll though. I was thinking about what aspects of husbandry people tend to be ignorant about and I decided to ask people's opinion on which seems to be most wide-spread. I chose lighting because I knew nothing about UVB for lizards (still don't claim to know a thing about it ;) ) until I started coming to places like this and while I don't keep any lizards that require it I've seen many that don't have it. For second-place I'd pick improper temps and I am totally guilty of this because I remember having anoles and toads as a kid with no heat. Anyway my point is that all of the problems I chose to address in the poll are due to lack of education so I figured that discussing them would lead to greater education. If somebody asked me what I'd do about these issues I'd reply that I'd send them here :D

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I chose "all of the above", but I guess I picked it for about the same reasone taht Jay picked "other". People aren't taught how to take care of their herps properly, so they don't provide the proper lighting, temps, diet, etc.

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

If I can't house my Reps to the best of my ability, then I don't feel I have the right to own them....To me, there's no excuse for not being properly prepared to take care of the animal you chose to own. * hops off her soap box*
    I said, "all of the above."

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I chose caging. There are too many cases of improper housing. Cages are often too small, too humid, not humid enough, and temps and lighting play into the reason I chose housing as well. IMO housing needs to be as close of a representation to the natural habitat as possible.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    I chose all of the above. Species dependent, each of those items is an issue.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I vote other,,,,I feel lack of research is a major problem. People tend to buy pets on a whim without knowing the proper care,,,,which is most dangerous in reptiles. A cute $10.00 Iguana soon becomes more than one can handle.

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I voted improper temps, I don't really have any problems with anything else, I am having trouble with temps on one of my cages at the moment its driving me mad, as the side where there is no heat, is the warmest, cant figure it out lol, well there is heat where the uv hangs over that side slightly but nothing else, and on the hot side where the UTH is, its lower, just doesnt make sense, other than that I havent had any probs with any of my other cages at all, only my garters which I have now changed.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I also choose "other". I feel that impulse buys without regard to what the animal needs or even what it is going to grow into is the main problem. Lack of knowledge about the species is the basis for all the other problems. A little research before the aquisition of an animal will cover all the listed problems. It sort of boils down to,...
    if you don't know what you are buying you shouldn't buy it.

11. PythonJack

PythonJack Active Member

I voted "All the Above" mainly because I have been guilty of it in the past. Not to "pass the buck", but I put the blame on some petshop owners and certain well known pet shops. Without sites like this run by reptile owners with experience and knowledge, I would simply fail at keeping reptiles. I ask questions and with the answers I learn about things that I didn't know. In my opinion, there is too much reptile abuse and unproper caretaking out in the world. Something must be done.

I have done some research and found out in my area alone, there are 87+ Green Iggys up for adoption. They were brought in by people who had no idea that they get pretty big and how much care they really need. Makes me wonder what I can do to help, and saddens me that so many reptiles are bought and sold as novelties.

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

well...

I think that it is a combination of all of the above or a few of them togather. It also vary's for diffrent Herps

13. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

I chose all of the above. Most people don't have a clue how to care for their herp. Impulse buying is a real problem too, I am finding that the herps being surrendered to my rescue are mainly because the parents bought it for the kid but the kid gets "bored" with it and the parents don't want deal with it. What is that teaching the kid?

14. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I choose "other" and second Jay's point of view. Lack of knowledge is the main cause of all the other items on the list, either in the "self" version (buy without research) as also in the "second hand" version (clueless shop clerks passing on wrong advice).
    Yesterday I found a pet store and went in to ask for crickets and such. In what I thought it was just an aquarium for sale in a small shelf space, I found 2 (not so) young igs almost the size of the aquarium and in complete darkness.
    To add insult to injury, the shop clerk replied "we don't sell mosquitos" when I asked for live food for a bearded dragon.

15. nicowalker1

nicowalker1 Member

Hi, i think they are all as detrimental to the well being of the herp so all are equally as important.

16. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I find that most people who keep aquatic turtles are always asking- Whats the smallest tank I can keep my pet in? I believe they should be trying to provide the largest tank possible.

17. steptoe91

steptoe91 Member

I picked all of the above because I am a new tortise owner. I looked up info on my tort of choice and found some conflicting info. I went to the store weekly for 2 months and saw my tort. And I asked the pet store employee for advice. And I got my tort, Sunny, home only to find I still didn't have a clue. I now feel the aquaraium i got for her is inadequate, her heat source is burdensome, Humidity is a real issue, and her diet was confusing at first. I am, like someone else mentioned, teaching my daughter about Sunny's care but often it is me doing the caring or pushing her until she does it. My routine is to check each animal (frog, tort, 3 marine fish tanks, and dog) every day before and after work. I suspect I may end up with a tort of my own when it's all said and done, my only concern there is that it may (with proper care) outlive me...unless that info I researched is also wrong. I think if you have a person who cares about animals and will strive to learn more the disinformation is just a small obsticle. On the other hand, for those impulse buyers, they will choose the info that suits them best and follow it whether it is right for the animal or not. I guess that's a little more than 2 cents, but it's my take on the situation.

18. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

I voted "other" cuz it really depends on what the herp is when it comes to the picking the biggest problems...

19. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

I choose other as well. I just do not feel that people should own Herps if the have not read up or even looked into what is needed to care for them.

Just look at some of the pet stores out there that sell these Herps, if you, like most of us here, know what the Herps need and you look into the tanks that they are kept in, you will notice things like a regular lite bulb instead of the uvbs and substrates in the bottom of the cage. And food that is cut whey to big for the little babies to even eat.........i guess I havd better quit before I get infureated!

Debbie iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

20. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

When I'm in chat rooms a lot of inexperienced keepers come in with stupid questions and I find that they usually have very improper cge sizes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.