This Disappears When Logged In

Importation Ban?

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Oct 9, 2004.

?

Would you support a ban on the import of green iguanas?

1. Yes, whole-heartedly!

38 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. No, not fair!

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Maybe...

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Not sure right now...

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Other (please specify)

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok this is the point where it gets a bit grey. The term captive bred with regard to igs usually means captive farmed. These "farms" are in the ig's home range and are in fact usually little more than a section of forest that has been fenced off to confine the animals. So they are still imports. Occasionally you may run across some that are actually born into captivity in this country. Most are not.

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

That is grey. I knew there were ig "farms" just not exactly what they were.

3. Mark

Mark Elite Member

The common pic of an ig farm floating around the net is pretty deplorable, American puppy mills are luxury hotels comparatively -- don't have a link to it but saw one go through the GIS board a few months ago.

Microscope Jockey, sorry I singled you out like that. This thread gets under many people's skin and we need someone to keep it on track. In my rush to get my point across I failed to remain calm and proof read accordingly.

4. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

I voted no. I must totally agree with Mars. The problems with the iggies has nothing whatsoever to do with the importation. It, as with many other problems with herps, falls back to the owners and lack of regard for living things. We have become members of a throw away society and it is not restricted to inanimate objects. I believe in this case it becomes a matter of policing and restricting ownership. This would effectively control the importation as dealers will not purchase what they cannot sell.

5. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

NOT FAIR
    I don't own a igunna but I ould like to but when I think about they are oveer populating.....dang I already voted :( :(

6. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I would definitely support a ban of importing green iguanas, but much like the ban on selling aquatic turtles under 4", I think it would still happen.

7. Venomous

Venomous Member

i think that baning them would be good. to many peple breed them for one. and alot are abandoned and miss treated. i have 3 rescues. and they are not a pet for every one. some people fail to understand that these critters need alot of care. and money. and many of them die due to un experianced people. i almost lost my first iguana becuasse i didnt know enough about them . the person i got her from told me all she needed was a uth. and i thought that was right. now i know there needs. but yes iguana importing shoul be banned

8. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

I really dont see why we need to take wild animals from there homes at all! green Igs are very abundant here and yes a lot are mistreated by irresponsible owners but I strongly believe there is no need for it. I mean I have seen baby green igs go for 8.99 in some places before this obviously shows that there are tons available here so is a ban really necessary? I mean it seems like it would be a waste of money to import wild (usually over aggressive and sometimes sick or dieseased) Igs with all the local competition.

9. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I personally don't see a need to take them out of the wild at all. There are breeders to supply for pets. There are so many reasons why it's wrong.

10. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

If there is a strong enough gene pool for Iguana’s and enough breeders’ US captive breeding them, then banning importation of the Iguana would be a natural step. But you would also have to take into consideration things like special importation to provide an outside source for in animals for gene pools. I might be totally off base here as I’m not sure how many people actually breed Iguana’s.

15 years ago when we first started with non-normal pets, the information available was books from the 60’s with out dated information. I’m surprised my 1st Iguana lived. There were no places like HC, a lot of care, feeding, housing etc. was done by guessing. Now there is information available on the web, some good some bad. Personally I feel that education is the most factor when dealing with any unusually animal. As a past breeder of Angora rabbits, I would not sell a bunny without a 10-page care booklet, explaining about caging, feeding, health topics and how to treat the animal for illness. The breeder knows best about treating a specific breed(s). Any time you have an unusual animal you need to develop a support system on many different levels (local, state, national, international), in most cases you will not find a local vet who can help you when your animal become ill. What I have found that works is taking the advise of “breeders” and presenting that to the vet and at least there is a starting point. One cannot become a responsible pet owner if they are no educated.

In my town the government would have to start licensing cats before they ever got to reptiles. I’m sure it is probably illegal to have reptiles where I live also. Within 6 houses from me I know that there are two additional houses that have reptiles. One has snakes and the other has another large lizard (not sure what type).

Since I’m new at this I was wondering if there is there a way to license breeder and or facilities to insure that the animal is not coming from a “puppy mill” type operation? Are there any requirements for shipping Reptiles from state to state (vet health cert.)?

11. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

It would be good to ban it. We should breed the iguanas we have right now and leave them alone. They have problems with the people who eat iguanas. LOL

12. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

I am a little on the fence on this one for the reason that we do not suffer the mass over-population of iguanas in the UK that you do in the US. However, I don't feel a ban would work. Like many have pointed out, there would still be people bringing ig's into the country by their own means. I do, however, feel that maybe some proper CB programmes should be implemented in the iguana's native regions where there is more than a fence bordering what is WC and what is CF. I think that the pet shops should have to be licensed to sell ig's and only after thorough checks of the housing and care that will be provided should they let the ig's go on to a new home. Unfortunately, the trade of 'cheap' animals will continue until the end of time. The human race has developed it's own system that goes against nature just for the sake of a few extra bits of cash in the bank. It is very sad that these animals have been taken from their homes and brought to other countries only to end up classed as a pest to society and culled in vast numbers - maybe the governments should start spending their money on educating people about such things (our government especially) instead of wasting the tax payers money running schemes to kill the animals that they allowed to be introduced into the country in the first place.

13. rustytotten

rustytotten Elite Member

A part of me wants to support the idea of a ban, because of the amount of unwanted or poorly kept igs. But I also agree that they would then be imported illegally, which would, in the long run, be far worse for the animal I think. It's sad that anyone can walk into a pet store and purchase an animal with such specific care needs (try adopting a dog from the humane society....they want your life history!!). Education IS the answer, but you can't force it on people (unfortunately).

14. jessi77

jessi77 New Member

I am with MAR

15. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

It would depend why the "Ban" was being introduced. If it was for environmental reasons then yes I would support one. If it was for the poor treatment some pet owners seem to give then no. Unfortunately, no amount of regulation can prevent abuse and we are foolish if we believe it can. I would like to see something more like mandatory education on the care needs of any animal being considered before they were purchased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.