This Disappears When Logged In

Important Uro Questions! HELP!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by egyptianURO101, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, so to start things off, I own an Egyptian as well as a Mali uromastyx. I never have any problems with the Mali but the Egyptian on the other hand is VERY stubborn. For example, it doesn't like to eat veggies except for lettuce. I had another thread about it. I followed the advice that was given. So I gave my Egyptian squash & carrots in its last salad with a little bit of water at the bottom of it. IT STILL WONT EAT IT even with it being the only options HELP! :mad: .

I am not quite sure what the sex is yet..is there any way I can figure it out?

Also, my Egyptian tends to use its tail ALOT .. it was caught behind the hide one day and i went to move t and it whipped me with it. My mali has never done that at all.

Could it just be irritated because its shedding???:confused:

I'm not sure how old it is but its still young its only about the same length of my hand .. i've only had it about a week and a half now. the temps are higher than that of the mali. i bought them both from the same store. The terranium is 30"L X 12"W X 12"H. it has a hide on both the hot and cool side. (2) 150watt bulbs (i only use one at a time). One regular for the day and one red for the night. i keep the day bulb on for at least 12 hours a day. I take the egyptian out to give it some attention .. as a matter of fact I think it enjoys being out more than in. Alot of uro owners as well as the care sheets say that uro's are more activ during the day but mine is more active at night.. i dont know what is wrong with it..

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

It could just have a differen't personality than the mali. When you put the veggies in, do you leave them in there for a while? Is it eating bugs? If so feed the bugs only as a treat. He will eat the veggies if he is hungry and there are no bugs.

3. Yes, the veggies stay in there quite some time. It eats meal worms but I don't leave them in the tank. I hand feed them only every few days, other than that the veggies are all the egyptian has.

How do I know if it is a male or female?

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Can you refresh my memory again. How old is it?
    Double check that your temps are high enough. IF it's not warm enough to digest food he won't be hungry because there is still food in his gut.
    Not eating is an indication that there is something wrong. Could be the setup or stress factors or other factors.

5. I'm not sure how old it is but its still young its only about the same length of my hand .. I've only had it about a week and a half now. the temps are higher than that of the mali. I bought them both from the same store. The terrarium is 30"L X 12"W X 12"H. It has a hide on both the hot and cool side. (2) 150watt bulbs (I only use one at a time). One regular for the day and one red for the night. I keep the day bulb on for at least 12 hours a day. I take the Egyptian out to give it some attention .. as a matter of fact i think it enjoys being out more than in. A lot of Uro owners as well as the care sheets say that Uro's are more active during the day but mine is more active at night.. I dont know what is wrong with it..

6. kriminaal

Try leaving him be for a while. Since he's very new to his environment it's a good idea to leave him in it to explore and become comfortable with it. Do this for a few weeks. Unfortunately I'm not well versed with Egyptians and can't offer any specialized advice on their care.
    If you can find some dandelion flowers that are free of pesticides try offering those. I have yet to see a Uro pass up one of those tasty morsels.

7. Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have any idea how to find out whether its a male or a female?

8. kriminaal

Not sure if it works with Egyptians but in many species males can be determined by enlarged femoral pores.

9. Then i believe its a female.
    Also, why do you think my uro hits me with its tail all the time?
    It loves when i take it out of the cage and let it roam around but sometimes it throws temper-tantrums and smacks me.

10. kriminaal

Most lizards love to be out of the cage. But it's another thing to be held. How are you picking him up? Grabbing from above is a no-no for Uros as one of their main predators are birds. Always slide your hand under the belly whenever possible.

11. Uromystic

Uromystic Well-Known Member

There are a few things you can do to improve your uros habitat. First check the temperatures with a digital thermometer (much more accurate than a regular thermometer.) If your using a regular thermometer your temperatures may be too hot or cool. They should read 100 on the hot side and about 85 on the cool side. Directly underneath the basking light the temperature should be between 125 - 130. The basking temperature is best measured with a temp. gun (you can get one for $25.00 or so.) Some Uro owners concern themselves so much with the high temperatures that they forget it is just as important for the Uro to have an area to cool down. Juvenile Uros are more susceptible to dehydrating in these high temperatures, so you have to be careful.

Second, stop feeding insects. Uros do not need them in their diet and in fact it only causes problems. Keep feeding leafy greens. Carrots and squash are only treats to be added to the main salad on a rotating basis. The basic salad should be made from Chickory, Dandelion greens and Endive. To this add other items but keep these three as the backbone of the salad mix.Turnip, Mustard and collard greens can be added once or twice a month. Do not feed seeds or any dry food to your Uro until it is larger as these types of foods can dehydrate young Uros.

Third, Stop using the red night light. Uromastyyx (and other Reptiles) can see these lights, Which causes them to become confused about the time of day. If your keeping the light on for heat at night, you don't need it. In order for Uros to remain healthy they need a temperature drop at night to about the low 70's.

Finally, even for a small Uromastyx such as yours, the size of the tank is too small. A temperature gradient of 100 on the hot end and 85 on the cool is very difficult to achieve in a tank that size. You may either be keeping your Uro too cool or slowly cooking him.

Please do not take this as an attack on the way you keep your Uro, as I and most experienced Uro keepers made many of the same mistakes when we started.

The tail whipping is normal. Depending on the individual, Egyptian Uros can be sweet, trusting lizards or nasty tail whipping terrors (especially at their adult size.)

Your Egyptian is still too young to accurately sex.

Good luck!

12. urorex

urorex Elite Member

OK well i see you say you only had it a week and a half. i would say you are stressing him/her out handling it at the moment. you need to leave it be for at least a month so it can get adjusted to its new surroundings.

Also i would say it would rather be out then in that small tank you got it in. A Mali should have a floor space of 4ft by 2ft. Height isnt much of a issue as there not really climbers. However i would go with 22 inch high then you can put a 160wt megaray on him and you will see a big improvement in its eating habits. Now for a egyption uro you will need a 6ftx2ft floor space. I understand that he isnt that big yet. however i dont see how it is possible to get a proper temp gradient in that size tank. You need 100F air temp on the hot side and 82-85F on the cool side with a basking (surface temp of 130F) you must use a ir temp gun to measure this. I believe his basking area temp is too low and he isnt digesting as he should hence not eating alot.

Also its not a good idea to have any blue/red lights on at night. they can see the light on and will not fall into a deep sleep. if you having a problem with heat at night go with a ceramic heat emitter. Also do you have any uvb on him? is there a screen between the lights and your lizard? This is all i can come up without seeing your setup or any other info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.