This Disappears When Logged In

Im Thinking of Getting a Tree Frog of Some Kind..

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by 904cresteds, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

i saw some cute red eye's...i also saw some posion dart frogs...i know i must wear latex gloves if i held them my bf has delt with them before *but i want something of my own* any advice?

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Re: Im Thinking of Getting a Tree Frog of Some Kin

I wouldn't start off with darts they really need right on temps and humidity. Though WC darts lose their toxicity after a few months. I would start with one of the basic tree frogs. Green, Whites, or any of the larger species. Darts are just so small and require advanced care.

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha i held darts in the wild with no gloves...then proceeded to eat fruit off a tree forgetting to rinse my hands....i am still alive. Red eyeds are also awesome... saw them too in the wild... such cool creatures! i would get one of those if i could...never seen em avaliable here tho

4. titus

Ture Caudalis most darts are't anything to worry about, Phyllobates are the most toxic of all darts. Looking at some of my old research if you wanted to start with darts I would recomend E. tricolor as a good starter for a small, aboral frog. They also have a wonderful call. Smaller and a bit harder to care for is D. ventrimaculatus that only grows to about 26mm.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Whites are easy to take care of and lots of fun!

6. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

ya they are tiny...i might go with a red eye..or dumpy frog

7. titus

Those are both great choces. Don't let the size of darts turn you off to them, if your willing to put in the time they are very rewarding to keep. An they really aren't as loud as most other frogs if your a light sleeper.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Devon- you're just bragging.

White's tree frogs seem to be good popular beginning frogs, there is plenty of information on them.

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha says the girl with more than 2 lenses....

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

More than two lenses and nothing to shoot...

11. KirstenT

KirstenT Member

Dart frogs are not actually harmful at all if they are raised in captivity. They actually get their poison from the bugs that they eat in the wild. If they are raised on crickets etc. from the time they are born, then they are completely safe to handle.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Right, nothing to worry about captive dart frogs.

In my own experience, whites are the most "fun" tree frog to own. They are active and funny.

Red eyes, even though they are beautiful, are boring. They are VERY nocturnal and VERY shy. They are also fragile so shouldn't really be handled. I"m lucky if I see them awake before 11pm. Surprise, one was in for a soak just a minute or two ago, but the other two were sleeping.

I know people say red eyes are not good first frogs, but for the life of me i can't figure out why. I started out with Whites because everyone said they were a good first frog. Well, they were, but I now realize I could have started with Red-eyes no problem.

As long as you build the vivarium first, get the temps and the humidity right for a few months, you are good to go. There care is almost the same as whites. Temps a few degrees lower, smaller water dish, smaller crickets.

They are actually living in my old whites tank quite happily.

Typh made a good point in her thread when she got her new snake. Everyone says those snakes are really hard to care for. When in reality if you do all the research and get the proper setting, a person with some reptile experience can handle it. We are all herp lovers here and know how to care and know what it takes to keep them. Go for what you want.

The only thing that keeps me from dart frogs, is I don't want to deal with fruit flies. :p:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.