This Disappears When Logged In

Im saving the eastern box turtle population!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by SebsExotics, May 28, 2014.

1. SebsExotics

SebsExotics Member

So my grandfather built his custom outdoor round 10x10 box turtle enclosure about 6 years ago. i will post pics on sunday when i go to his house. it has a tree growing in the middle and tons of plants growing. he takes REALLY REALLY good care of them. he also built a custom 3 foot hide out of wood and the roof of the hide is made of shingles. anyways, over the years, every time he finds one while lawn mowing (he is on disabilities so he mows lawns for other people with ride on mower) he adds it to the enclosure. he currently has 4. only 1 has ever died in the enclosure. he has had 3 or so disappear over time cause of either predators or escape (it is 100% escape proof now...) anyways, 2 of them have been MATING for the last week (he tells me) one humping on top of the other. if they lay eggs where will they lay them? will they bury them? and should i leave the eggs or take them to my house to incubate?

If you did not know these turtles are listed as vulnerable so if they have eggs that hatch then i could potentially be helping the species make a comeback!

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i honestly think that in certain states and areas, they are protected and collecting them can end up with a fine. I would check with your local DCNR about regulations....... I honestly think it would be best to leave them alone and if found on lawns while mowing just move them to the closest place with cover..... To do as you are i think you need a licenses, i am not sure but contact your local DCNR for regulations about doing as you are and if it is legal... if not then maybe they can help...... but i honestly think the best thing to do is to leave the animals do as they are in the wild.....

3. Sheltowee

Sheltowee Active Member

Check this out Captive Reptile & Amphibian Permit/License - you must abide by these laws in Maryland. WHEN DO YOU NEED A PERMIT?

You need a permit if you:

breed, attempt to breed, sell, offer for sale, trade, or barter any reptile or amphibian, including color mutations, native to Maryland regardless of where you obtained it.

possess more than 4 individuals of each reptile and salamander from List A. Of these only 4 may have been taken from the wild.

possess more than 4 adults and 25 eggs or tadpoles of each frog or toad from List A. Of these only 4 adults and 25 eggs or tadpoles may have been taken from the wild.

possess more than 1 individual of each reptile or amphibian from List B. Only 1 individual of each species may have been taken from the wild, except no Wood Turtles, Spotted Turtles, or Diamond-backed Terrapins may be taken from the wild.

possess turtles less than 4 inches.

A permittee may possess an unlimited number of animals from Lists A and B that are captively produced or legally obtained from out of state, with proper documentation

LIST B

Broad-headed Skink (Eumeces laticeps)

Eastern Six-lined Racerunner (Aspidoscelis sexlineatus)

Eastern Hog-nosed Snake (Heterodon platirhinos)

Queen Snake (Regina septemvittata)

Common Ribbonsnake (Thamnophis sauritus sauritus)

Wood Turtle (Glyptemys insculpta)

Spotted Turtle (Clemmys guttata)

Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina)

Eastern Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta picta)

Midland Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta marginata)

Eastern Mud Turtle (Kinosternon subrubrum)

Northern Red-bellied Cooter (Pseudemys rubriventris)

Stinkpot (Sternothorus odoratus)

Diamond-backed Terrapin (Malaclemys terrapin)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Taking these animals out of the wild and confining them in a cage in your backyard is NOT "helping the species make a comeback!" You are removing them from an already disappearing gene pool.
    And releasing captive animals back into the wild is illegal in most areas.