This Disappears When Logged In

I'm Pretty Sure This is a Tail Kink... Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by EyeOfHorus, Jun 15, 2012.

1. EyeOfHorus

EyeOfHorus Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, my life has been crazy lately so I have pretty much dropped off the map from most if not all forums.. but I was hoping you guys could help me out! I'm stumped on this one *scratches head*

I bought this Lipstick Hypo het Albino (poss super, both parents were hypos) from a very well known and respected breeder, and the SAME day I got him I had to be admitted to the hospital.

I briefly looked him over before going and didn't notice anything.. but when I say briefly, I mean a quick scan.

Then, when I got home 3 days later I got to inspect him much more thoroughly. I noticed a bump just about at his vent (it's SLIGHTLY before the vent, I'm talking a cm/mm or two!), which deeply concerned me. However, it is not showing any scales being raised on the bump, no stretched out scales revealing skin in between or anything that would point to it being something else than a kink.

It seems highly unlikely that anything of that nature would have developed over only 3 days.. especially since his husbandry was 99% perfect. 89 - 91F hot side, 77 - 80F cool side, 77 - 80 ambient air temp and 70 - 80% humidity which was a little high but nothing that would cause problems I'm sure. No injury ect ect. And, he is eating! He was fed F/T at the breeders and he took a F/T rat pup on the 8th (so 5 days after acquisition) and again on the 13th.

I have an vet appointment for Tuesday but to be honest, the money I intend to spend for that visit shouldn't be spent and I am in a really tough position because I recently lost my job too... I am WILLING to bring him in but if it is a tail kink that would be a lot of money gone for something that cannot be acted upon ect... it would basically be, walk in the door, pay 95 dollars, have the doctor say its a tail kink... walk out. I cannot afford that at this moment as much as I would love to have him seen by a qualified vet, it would be fairly pointless besides giving me peace of mind.

Here's a picture from 3 days after I got him--

First pic - The day it was noticed:

[​IMG]

and, two better pictures from a day or two ago after applying Polysporin for 7-10 days and dropping humidity to 65%, and raising hot side temp to 91 - 93F just in case:

[​IMG]

and a birds eye view very similar to the first picture:

[​IMG]

Also, I have a picture the breeder had put up for the animals sale, which to me, appears to show the bump, although it is hard to tell because it is on the opposite side... but you can kind of see that it is not symmetrical (I have circled it to make it easier to spot) :

[​IMG]

I am going to try and recreate that picture, and if it looks the same then I think it's safe to call it a kink, that was missed. (you can see where it starts bulging out slightly, but again it is on the opposite side so it's difficult to see)

Let me know what you guys think! Thank you very much in advance!

(PS - It's actually so insignificant that I forgot about it until now because he is new, and I've been leaving him alone completely. He is acting perfectly normal/healthy too)

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I suggest contacting the breeder and asking him if he was aware of the "kink"; abscesses can develop quickly. I'd keep the vet appointment just in case...

3. thatguy87

thatguy87 Well-Known Member

beautiful snake dont know much about tail kinks but just wondering when was the last time the snake went to the bathroom??

4. EyeOfHorus

Thanks! I did contact him the day I noticed it and sent a picture or two, but he says he didn't see it/it wasn't there. I am going to have to reschedule for Thursday (the same week as the 19th, Tues, so that's good) because Tuesday is my Birthday and while I initially did have the time, now I do not. It's funny how nothing is happening then as soon as I make the appointment my whole family wants to do something for my B-day.

anyways, I will bring him in ASAP, even if I have to leave myself broke and starving (would have to use any money I get which was suppose to support me) because I cannot stand the idea of not knowing anymore. I am really hoping he poops soon and it goes away, as the breeder said it could be some poo/urates that haven't passed yet. It he doesn't go soon, I will be even more concerned than I am now. We'll see what the vet says, here's to hoping it's not an abscess! *prays*

5. mshrmheadcharge

Hm, perhaps you can try soaking him to help him pass his urate and poop. Warm water usually does the trick ;)

6. EyeOfHorus

Thank you very much! I think the last time he pooped was with the breeder, he mentioned it if I remember correctly. So, before the 3rd of June and after the 20th of May (inquired about him on around t5he 20th I believe, and was told he was fed and pooped during that time frame) but again, this is all based off memory as we mostly talked over the phone

Thanks again!

I tried this once, although the water may not have been warm enough. I will try again as soon as his 2nd meal (with me) is digested, but at this point I am frantic with the possibilities of what may be wrong :(

7. thatguy87

The warm water does seem to help ive been helping treat a cusotmers ball python with a sever thermal burn and two days ago right after her bath a friend was holding her while i was changing out the towels in her inclosure and she let it go all over the floor lol it was pretty discusting but her poops are getting a lot better the first two had blood clots in them

8. EyeOfHorus

Called the vet, and rescheduled for later in the day on Tuesday, 6:15 pm instead of 4pm so I will be able to do it on my Birthday. So we shall see what happens on the 19th!

9. EyeOfHorus

That's good to know! I always heard it helps but I have tried it several times with other snakes and once with this one and nothing happened so I wasn't sure. I'll try it again with him several times and see what happens, vet appointment is soon though so I wont have to wait and worry much longer.

Thanks!

10. thatguy87

best of luck hope its something simple

11. EyeOfHorus

Thanks! It should be simple enough, at worst it's an abscess which is pretty simple to take care of usually... but he does seem to be "backed up" if you know what I mean lol... near his tail it looks like he has a lot of poo that is ready to be released so any time now.. I'd have tried a warm/hot bath today but he's still got a big lump from the meal a day or two ago, once that's digested though I'm on it! it's about the only other thing I can do in the meantime as I've done pretty much everything else that could be done I think.

Thanks again everyone!

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

How often does he get out and stretch and move. One of mine holds her poop. We bathe/soak her then take her outside since its nice and watch her slither around. Usually within 30 minutes she poops and pees.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm wondering if the breeder tried to sex him/her improperly?

14. EyeOfHorus

Very often, he is constantly moving in the enclosure and I usually see him in a different location if I peek inside, the tub is also huge for him and he has plenty of room to stretch out and move.

I thought the same thing but it's highly unlikely because the breeder is the biggest boa breeder in my area and arguably the most trusted, respected ect. So I ruled that out fairly early, and if that was the case I'd expect to see some effect of that after the vent and into the hemipenes, which isn't the case. It is basically at his vent only, actually slightly before the vent (not after and into the end of the tail)

It's also only on the side, not the bottom. If he had improperly sexed him I would expect to see signs on the bottom of him as well... some hemipene swelling that would show through the subcaudal scales, something. Even if the initial "damage" was done not in the hemipenes as a result of the sexing, but some kind of trauma before them, I would think the effects would extend into the connected hemipenes which are so close to that area.

Thanks everyone! I just hope whatever is going on does not affect his ability to breed..

15. thatguy87

even if this wasnt the problem it was a really good idea...would of never thought of this myself

16. EyeOfHorus

Agreed! I contacted the breeder again and he said basically the same thing I did about the possibility of improper sexing so that's interesting lol.

BUT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!! He pooped this morning on his own! I was starting to get worried... bad news though, the bump is still there... However, when I found the poop (like 3 mins ago) it was VERY fresh and the Urates were rock solid. I know that usually they would be soft or even almost liquid like for a while before hardening... so that makes me think that there are more Urates in there that haven't passed yet, creating the bump.

Last night I felt the bump thoroughly during my daily health checks and it felt like it was almost gone, so I'm thinking the Urates that may have caused the bump before finally passed, and more are now stuck at the cloaca. If he poos again soon and it finally disappears, along with more solid Urates in a fresh turd, then I think we know what's been going on... not getting too hopeful though.

17. EyeOfHorus

Still going to the vet as planned though, even if it turns out to be just a health check and nothing's wrong I want to bring him anyways.

18. mshrmheadcharge

What are you humidity levels at?

19. EyeOfHorus

Steady at 55 - 60 percent. While I was in the hospital for the first 3 days he came home, he was at 70 - 80 percent though. A little high but not problem causing im sure.. have had my other boa sitting at 70% for almost a year now because she seems to enjoy the higher humidity.

20. mshrmheadcharge

Hmmm...well hopefully your vet can tell you a little more!