This Disappears When Logged In

I'm New Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Brianne, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Brianne

Brianne Member

Hi everyone, I am new here, and new to keeping snakes. I have a male juvenile Pueblan Milksnake, named Merlin! I've been doing my research, but it seems the more I learn, the more I have to learn!

I have a question. My enclosure temps are stable and are where they need to be, but it seems Merlin still prefers to be on the cooler end of the tank. (Or, at least this is where he is when I go searching for him at handling, or feeding times. He eats like a champ, and exhibits healthy behaviours. Is this typical? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks!

DwarvenChef likes this.
  2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Welcome to the forums :)

Temp ranges can and should vary, the question is why stay on the cool side? If you only have a hide on the cool side and not on the warm side you'll soon run into trouble. If your snake chooses to be on the cool side most of the time, is the warm side to hot?

There can be many factors in the why department. If you could post your temp ranges and tank set up it would help a bit more.

Again Welcome to the insanity :)

3. Brianne

Brianne Member

Thanks. Temps on the cool side are 76° during the day with a bit of a drop at night. The basking end of the tank is pretty well consistently 84° during the day, dropping to 76° at night. He has both and under tank heater and a day bulb on the basking side.

He has hides throughout his enclosure, warm, cool, and in the middle.

4. Brianne

Brianne Member

I've added a pic of his enclosure, excuse the lack of lighting but it's night here

Attached Files:

5. Laurah

Laurah Member

HI
    I'm new here. I have a 5 yr old Cuban rock iguana :)

Brianne likes this.
  6. Brianne

Brianne Member

Hi there! Nice to meet you!

7. Laurah

Laurah Member

:)

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC!

9. Yonoi

Yonoi Member