This Disappears When Logged In

I'm Losing Dubias, Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by CTU2fan, Mar 4, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Started my dubia colony, I received them on Monday, 40 females 10 males, adults. They're in something like a 20 gallon sterilite bin (it's roughly 2x1x1). One end has vertically oriented egg flats, and I'm heating with a heat mat. Temps vary from 86-92 with a digital thermometer and surface temps on the floor are 90-100 with a temp gun where the mat touches (about half the bin) and more like 80-85 at the "cool" end where the mat isn't touching. Humidity is 90%. I'm feeding Fluker cricket feed and a few carrot slices right now and I also have a dish of water gel for them.

Anyway, it's not a huge die-off or anything but I've lost 4-5 so far. The others are all seemingly active, I don't go messing around with them too much but I see them popping their heads out between the egg flats and hear them scurrying around in there. Just wondering if anything I've done sounds way off where I'd be killing them or if it's more like a few maybe not coming through the bouncing around of shipping all that well. I didn't have any DOA's but I did have a few come out a little lethargic, maybe those are the ones that didn't make it?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If it isn't a massive die off you may just have gotten some old ones.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Thanks hat's what I'm hoping, I was thinking of adding a big batch of nymphs so I know I'm getting young ones but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong before I add more and end up pulling out dead ones.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Is the bottom kind of wet at 90 percent?
    I agree with what Merlin said. I had over have my adults die off one time before I realized i was always feeding off the sub-adults and not replacing the breeders.

lizardhoarder139 likes this.
  5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

The bottom isn't wet but I'm getting a little condensation on the sides in the cooler end of the bin where the food and water gel is. I'm a little worried about mold so I moved some things around, got the water gel a bit further away from the heat mat, that seems to help, less dew and humidity is in the 80s now.

I haven't lost any in the past week, I rarely see any anymore but I can hear them running around in the egg flats so I know they're alive and kicking. Kind of wondering when I'll see nymphs but I don't want to tear everything apart looking.

6. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Took a peek and there are nymphs all over the place. Feel a bit silly now...I used to live in the projects, I'm imagining the ridicule I'd get if I told some of my friends that I was worried my roaches weren't breeding LOL

Oddly enough they all seem to hang out on the left side of the bin, not sure why but it's maybe a bit warmer there.

DragonSlayer likes this.