This Disappears When Logged In

I'm Doing Research on Calcium Sand.

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by MicheleMouse, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleMouse

MicheleMouse Active Member

Hi all herp lovers!

I'm a member of the Suncoast Herp. Society. I'm writing a monthly article for our newsletter "The Monitor". Our newsletter gets printed in paper form & online.

I'm doing research on calcium sand. I read the article on "Understanding the dangers of using Calci-Sand". I was wondering if anyone can give me other facts or other web sites that will give me more info about calcium sand?

Any help would be great! I will be using Herp Center Network as one of my references to this article.
    If anyone would like to visit, this is our web address:
    Welcome to the Suncoast Herpetological Society

2. venus

venus Founding Member

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I believe what she is asking is for sources validating the information in the article.
    Sort of like a bibliography.
    Papers, scientific journals, etc.

4. MicheleMouse

Yes, I'm looking for any lab tests that have been done. Or reptile veterinarians that have seen & treated animals that were on calcium sand.

I've searched a few veterinary records on-line, but have not found anything. I can't think of anywhere else to check.

5. MicheleMouse

I have found one article that shows the end result of using sand as a substrate. It does not go into any details on calcium sand specifically. They have a picture of a leopard gecko that died due to a serious impaction. They have the gecko opened up, you can see all of the sand that had accumulated. Poor little gecko.

Unfortunately, some people need to see a photo of the end result before they realize that not all substrates are safe; even when the packing says otherwise.

The article is at the web site Pet Zoo, here is the link.
    http://www.petzoo.co.uk/extra_info_pages.php?pages_id=29

6. venus

venus Founding Member

7. MicheleMouse

Thank you Venus, I liked that article. It talked about some of the other bad substrates as well. I've seen those photos before, makes me feel bad for the poor gecko that died.

I've found enough information to write my article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.