This Disappears When Logged In

I'm Confused!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by MadDog, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I want to get a frog/toad to add to my collection and had a few questions. First off, what is the largest species of frog/toad in captivity? Second, what would be a good beginners frog/toad to get? I want one that I will see a lot instead of one that will be burrowed and hiding allot. I heard that cane toads are good beginner toads, but are there any other captive ones that get bigger? I will start out with a beginners toad/frog and work my way to the harder ones if I have too. I just have always been interested in the larger species of frogs and toads.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have no experience with them. Just bumping this thread up so someone might be able to help you out.

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thank you Kriminaal. Maybe some of the frogers will be on here later on today.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Liz is the resident expert on frogs so I'm sure when she reads this you'll get some good info from her :)

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I have kept pacmans and whites and that is about it... The pacman's are fun, but they burrow... Whites are my favorite, but they are nocturnal. Actually most frogs will be. While the whites will be sleeping during the day, you can usually still see them cause they sleep up on the walls or in branches of the terrarium.

A budgets frog would get pretty big, but they need a pretty complicated setup. They require both land and water. And more so than firebellies... They do look to be pretty interesting frogs tho.

I don't have enough experience with the tomato or some of the other popular frogs out there to really give you much information about them. Sorry!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pyxie frogs are pretty big - though I believe they like to burrow as well.

Maybe you want something more aquatic, so you can at least see it - African clawed frogs are a lot of fun.

7. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

when i was about 9 I got an African Dwarf Frog . I had it for at least 4 years, although I admit I didn't take very good care of it:eek:

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Pixies are one of the biggest frogs you can get in the commercial pet trade. However, they burrow A LOT. Mine has been under 2 months now. They tend to do this in the winter, even though we keep them in controlled environments.

Pacmans also bury a whole lot, especially when younger, and they don't really move around a lot. Lazy lumps they are.

Cane toads get large and are active. You just have to wash your hands very well after handling for they secrete poisons (mostly an irritant to us).

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

It sounds like a Cane toad will be your best bet. Let us know what you have decided on.:)

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I believe Tomato frogs are quite large, but the biggest is the Goliath frog of Africa ( over 12inches body length) but I`m not sure if you can get them?

11. schlegelbagel

Yes, Goliath frogs are the largest but it's illegal to export them for the pet trade. I think some zoos have them, but that's it.

Your next largest bet is a male Pyxie frog.

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Leave our African frogs alone!:p

13. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Well, after a little research, I decided that I would get an american bullfrog. My reasons are: one, they're pretty to me; two, they are native to here and I plan on starting a "herp awareness" program around here one day; third, they get pretty big too. There the largest North American frog. Thanks everyone for the help.

14. schlegelbagel

Good choice! They do need a rather LARGE setup. I have a friend with one, in a 100 gallon tank and lots of water filtration.

15. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thanks. I read one care sheet that said one adult could be housed in a thirty long. Is this true or bogus? I don't want mine to be cramped.

16. schlegelbagel

30 long sounds rather cramped. I would think 40 long at the minimum.

17. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Just pondering over my options and decided that I would get a fifty-five gallon aquarium for the frog. I want my enclosure to look natural and was wondering what types of plants would grow well in a swampy enclosure. I know I want real plants in there and I am going to set it up like my turtle enclosure.

18. schlegelbagel

I would suggest visiting a water garden store and ask for water plants or plants that grow in swampy areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.