This Disappears When Logged In

I'm Building a Timor Monitor Enclosure. Input Needed

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Andyc3020, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

10-4 thanks.

It's amazing how many times I read how much work it was going to be and how expensive it was going to be to set up a monitor cage. I didn't believe anyone. Boy was I wrong. Thank god I got all the wood for free.

2. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

I wont even tell you how much money I have invested into 2 snake towers! The numbers are staggering and would make you sick,BUT they are way cool and EXACTLY what I wanted. :D

3. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Im making some progress. Still have a lot of space to fill. I got all tye fake
    plants at doklar tree.
    CAM00267.jpg
    CAM00266.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

If u look closely you will notice he is invisible. Thats why i never see him lol

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s hard to see, how deep is the substrate?
    I think some of the twigs at the bottom are useless (lead to nowhere), and the other branches are quite slender, it`s always best to go thicker than you might need at that moment in time, and thicker one`s may have hollows the monitor could use (I know the lizard`s only small just now but they grow quickly under supportive conditions).
    The basking site is very exposed and I think a shelf might have been a better idea, then you can more easily provide cover around it. I also think the bamboo would have been more useful running horizontally.
    I`m not being overly critical (honest ;)), I just think it`s good to set the inside "furniture" up before the animal goes in, otherwise you`re having to disturb it quite a lot to finish off (but you`re definitely on the right track)!
    Edit: I spotted him within 2 seconds......

(Not).... :confused:

6. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Yea i am going to turn the bamboo and add some shelve s. I hate messing with it when he lives in it but i think it is better than keeping him in a 20 gal fish tank. Thanks for the input though. Oh and the substrate isabout a foot.

7. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Oh and III know some of the twigs are just filler for now. Im looking for some more useful limbs.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you get a few cork tubes to fix to the sides and back, or make something out of wood (a couple of boxes)? You could cover them with pieces of bark to make it look more natural if you wanted (not that the monitor would mind).

9. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I didn't see the part that said "not" at first and my thought was that I don't believe the monitor is even in those pictures. Haha

As for the rest of the enclosure, I think that it looks great but I agree that the branches are definitely going to be too slender before long if not already. The basking site is certainly too small and I would agree that a shelf for basking would likely work best. I would also add some more lighting to reach the bottom. I like the bamboo as it is but it definitely would be easier to climb horizontally. All of the lower to the ground branches are just for looks I think. It doesn't really matter if they go anywhere. If you were to add some more branches that went all the way up and were able to add some horizontally near the top I would bet that they would be used heavily.

Great job so far! Can't wait to see as the enclosure and monitor progress.

10. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Do u really think the branches are not thick enough? He isnt going to get much bigger. Am i missing something

11. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Maybe it's just the pictures but they look really skinny. He will still try to use them but thicker would be better, specifically at the basking site.

12. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Ok, so i'm taking the bamboo down and may be putting some of it back up since I do like the way it looks. I'd rather put something more useful up. I just don't want the bare wood to be showing in the back of the cage, and I don't really have the time to make a nice foam background. I'm going to use a combination of bamboo, fake plants and sticks along with some wood shelves, He gets behind the bamboo, and it takes me literally 10-15 minutes to find him. Not that I need to find him, but the first couple of days I just wanted to make sure he hadn't escaped or died :-/. I just feel bad for constantly adjusting his surroundings. I bought a fake tree from goodwill yesterday for 8$. I'm going to take it apart and use the leaves since it was much cheaper than buying new ones. I really want to add a water feature to the bottom. I'm looking for a deal on one of those little mini fountains so I can take it apart and use the pump.

He isn't spending any time on the ground from what I can tell. No digging or burrowing. I guess he is still getting used to his surroundings.

13. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

If you have a Michaels near you pay attention to the tree sales. sometimes you can get some real bargins. same with Craigslist! Looks really nice! Happy happy happy home :)

I see they eat a lot of inverts and other lizards. How ya feeding him? I think they are beautiful! May

14. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I've only been able to get him to eat crickets so far. He is a cool little guy. It's too bad he doesn't like to show himself more often.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It takes a long time for some lizards to settle in and be comfortable running around with others in the room.

16. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I hear ya. I cant find him. Is it usually pretty easy to find their burrows?

17. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I didn't see him for a couple days, which was not a surprise, but I started getting worried and ransacked the cage looking for him...Well, he escaped and I was lucky to find him in the curtains. I'm just glad I keep the door shut to that room so my cat didn't get him. I'm pretty sure he escaped through a gap in the top of the door. I was temporarily using a towel to get a good seal on the top, and I guess he either squeezed through or ran out when i opened the door to feed him. I have fixed the gap. Also, I'm going to put a small door on the side for feeding him. So far he is great. He really isn't as shy as I expected, but he isn't going to be a public speaker. I am already trying to decide what reptile I am going to get next. probably at least 6 months down the road. Possibly a snake... idk.

18. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

LMAO, I do exactly the same thing waaaay too often with hatchlings. Mostly because I have had them escape before as well.
    I did learn my lesson and make enclosures nearly escape proof. But my brain hasn't caught on yet I guess.

I think Timors often get a bad rap as a reclusive species. Some species just need a little more work and a little more patience to get them tractable.
    There are also things you just don't do with monitors that will nearly send you back to square one.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, have you thought of getting a mate for the V. timorensis (at least 6 months down the road)? ;)

20. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I have. I am just worried they won't get along and there is no way i'm about to build another cage like this one (mostly because I don't have the space.) Also, breeding seems like a lot of work and I'm not sure I want to get into it. It would be awesome to have two of them though. Especially since they are so shy, I'll have more of a chance of seeing one if there are two.