This Disappears When Logged In

I'm Building a Big Terrarium That Will Hang from the Ceiling.

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by bobiamilie, Apr 18, 2014.

1. bobiamilie

bobiamilie Member

I'm half way through my first habitat build for our new Anoles. I've posted pictures that show some flow from beginning to present. Feel free to make comments and ask questions. Here goes.
    The OSB (Oriented strand board) panels are joined with UHU Montagekleber and drywall screws.
    The 2cm styrofoam is only on the walls. Two coats of tile cement brushed on to cover all exposed styrofoam. Next is just ordinary wall paint over everything. Several coats to fill in every single crack and hole in every corner, under the shelves, the walls and especially the bottom. I have many years experience with airbrushing, fiberglass work, acrylic repair, mold making, boat building , etc... I know that all this work will be a massive headache if any water gets to that OSB wood.
    The final step will be the epoxy resin shell over the paint. I image I'll feel safe, but bankrupt with three coats. I bought slow curing epoxy and hardener. 75 euros worth! This formula is specifically for high temperature environments. It takes 24 hours at 25 degrees Celsius for the initial cure. After that, I'll post cure it with heat. If all that goes well, I will have a waterproof, non-toxic, stable shell that will flex with the rest of the layers without cracking. When that's all done, we can start building a comfortable living home for our new family members.
    The terrarium will hang from the living room ceiling in our tiny apartment.Probably hang it before we pour in drain bed material, mesh and soil. I'm afraid it will be too heavy to maneuver otherwise. Four steel cables fastened to the ceiling will pass through four corners of the terrarium and support it from underneath. OK, maybe five cables.
    I know why I am going to such lengths for these animals. I feel good about that. I hope you enjoy the pics. Thom 1 Cool idea. Good luck..jpg 2 more realistic.jpg 4 several sides.jpg 5 all walls up.jpg 7 styrofoam.jpg 9 tilecementBRUSHon.jpg 12 drainagesealedholesright side up.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. bobiamilie

bobiamilie Member

The first coat of epoxy kicked off and has been curing for 3 days now. I put a small space heater in the box for about 6 hours. I got the temperature up to about 45 celcius(113f) degrees is some places. Next, I'll turn the box upside down and paint on the second coat. It seems like the easiest way to get a good seal under the shelves. I'm not just waterproofing. I'm cricket-proofing too.
    I used Toolcraft brand from a big hobby/tech super store here in Vienna. resin and hardener.jpg
    I'm trying to include the material safety data sheet, but .pdf is not uploadable. We'll see.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

This sounds amazing. Can you explain your reasoning behind the shape of the cage?

4. bobiamilie

bobiamilie Member

Thanks. Lots of work. In that corner a stove fleu/ Chimney? Runs through every flat. If I want a wood stove. So my box is shaped to fit in that corner. We are on the ground floor. No danger.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

6. tbron

tbron Elite Member

wow that is amazing design. love it.

7. bobiamilie

bobiamilie Member

As things go, I sent the project to the art dept., but they were too busy. So, they kicked it back to me praising me for my work progress and said I should do the art too. Right! Management. [video=youtube;Jj82Ro43R6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj82Ro43R6c[/video]