This Disappears When Logged In

Illegal Python Trade

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

At least 80% of the green pythons exported each year from Indonesia are illegally caught in the wild and then “laundered” through farms that claim to breed the reptiles.

The Python Laundry | Conservation Magazine

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Merlin, I doubt very much that Green tree pythons are the only reptiles to be "laundered" that way, I`m sure a large percentage of the so-called "farm bred" snakes and lizards in the pet trade are illegally caught, not farm bred, too...

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hmm, makes me wonder about the Indo species of monitors as well.

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Interesting. Reminds me of a book I was given(but still haven't read yet) called "The Stolen World" that talks a little about the rough beginning of the reptile world before captive bred animals were a thing and they were all wild caught. I've heard mixed reviews for this book honestly, I wonder, have any of you heard of it or read it?

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I think we should do our best to support breeders and not chain stores. You get better animals anyway.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Unfortunately, not enough (often virtually none), of many species are being bred in captivity in sufficient numbers, to have much effect on the illegal (or legal), trade from the wild. It`s a huge money making industry, worldwide...

7. Salazare Slytherin

Salazare Slytherin Elite Member

^^this.
    But the problem also is some animals are not commonly seen or bred by breeders.

8. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

That's part of the reason that if I breed I'd like to work with the animals that are less often bred. There are a lot of snakes and lizards which could actually make just as good of a pet as a bearded dragon, but they just aren't worked with enough!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I read it - my vet recommended it. Very good read!

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

This is so sad, and so real!
    And to think, these people capturing them are probably being paid next to nothing for doing this.

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I think you all are right on not enough species being bred in captivity. I believe more snake species are then lizards, but I would say they've come a long way. With enough time I'd like to see more breeders and less stores. Petstores work for cats and dogs but they're far behind on knowing what reptiles need. Educating people is what we need and that applies for the whole animal trade not just reptiles. That's why I've always said I'm not a people person. We humans are often cruel and ignorant! (no offense to anyone just in general) Okay let me stop my rant I'm getting into : ) Just saying I agree.