This Disappears When Logged In

IJ Won't Leave Water Bowl, All Feedback Welcome

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by CryHavoc17, Aug 12, 2013.

1. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Hey guys. As you may know I got my first carpet python a few weeks ago. His/her name is Stryker. I've posted a couple of threads about how its been coming along, and up until a few weeks ago everything was fine. Recently tho stryker has lost all interest in warming up, and will not leave the water bowl except to feed or defecate, and the only reason he leaves it to feed is beacause I make him come to the warm side to take his meal, in tbe hopes that he'll stay there and warm up/ digest. I also put him back in the warm side after handling. No matter what he always goes straight to the water bowl. He shed very recently so its not that, and the shed was perfect. He had a vet visit immediately after I brpught him home from the best reptile vet in the area (which isnt a strong endorsement, my options here are limited)and got a clean bill of health. The only comment the vet had was that he was underweight and I should feed heavily for a bit to help him get back up where he should be. He has been eating 3 adult mice a week. I know he should be on rats but the smalls I have are too big, waiting on an order of pups to start switching him. He is still feedng great, just took 2 mice back to back an hour ago.

Part of me says that if he's eating and pooping there really isn't anything to worry about, another part of me says it can't be healthy for a snake to stay so cold all the time. I just want to make sure my animal has the best care possible.

His setup is as follows:
    50x12x12 (inches)glass viv with screen tops. Screens are currently covered except for the heat lamp. Heat lamp is temporarily a 60 watt basking bulb on a 12 on 12 off daily timer. Before last week it was a 60 watt CHE on 24/7, it will be going back to that as soon as the ball python gets moved to her new boaphile and her CHE is available. The lamp and climbing branch layout provides a variety of temps to bask at from 85-100. Additionally the left side has a UTH (don't remeber the demensions, it takes up about 35-40% of the floor space) on a hydrofarm on/off thermostat set to 90 degrees. Cool side is a fairly constant 78. Humidity never goes below 50 and gets up to about 75 immediately after misting. Climbing areas provided as well as hot and cool hides.

It has been a full 2 weeks now since he left his water bowl. That was the last time he warmed up at all, he basked under his CHE for several hours. Before that he would soak himself regularly, but he'd always leave the bowl to warm up from time to time.

What do you guys think? Am I being to paranoid? This just doesn't seem like health snake behavior to me. I'd be greatful for any feed back.

PS if you want pictures I have several threads on this page with plenty

2. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

You might want to check him for mites. Constant bathing is usually indicative of temperatures that are too high or mites.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I haven't seen any evidence of mites yet, ill give him a close inspection tomorrow to be sure. 78 degrees can't be too hot for the cold side can it?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

when my JCP would'nt leave his water bowl, it was mites. Because of his coloring, they were very hard to detect on him. use a wet paper towel to wipe him down, and examine it for black specks.

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I dunno. I tried the paper towel trick. The problem with that is he's on a cypress mulch/ eco earth blend. I've never seen snake mites before, so I can't spot the difference between black and red flecks of subrate or mites. When I first took him out I couldn't see anything moving on him, I gave him a good bath just in case. I also couldn't detect anything moving in his cage. But I don't have a trained eye for this. We'll see if the bath helped him at all. I may break his cage down this week anyway just to be safe

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

And he immediately went back to the water bowl.... I have no idea what's going on. If it had been mites wouldn't he have been fine for a while after the bath?

7. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Take him out and rub him down from snout to vent. You should see little specks all over your hands if he has mites.

8. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Mites generally look like tiny little black specks, usually no bigger and often smaller than a period. You have to look reallly closely or you might miss something. Mite babies are particularly small. You may not be able to see them specifically on your snake, but a couple might be on tour hands after you hold him.

Additionally, take him out of his water bowl and then inspect the water. Dump it into a white or light colored container. If there are black specks in the water, those are mites.

9. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Please keep in mind that sometimes snakes just want to lay in the water.

10. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I know, that's why I'm so uncertain. Two weeks straight just seems like a long time to be soaking. I think ill break his tank down tomorrow anyway, I've been meaning to ditch the eco earth for a while.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

toss the substrate for now, and house him on paper towels for a bit. If he has mites, they will be much easier to spot.

I am assuming you have already corrected any issues regarding humidity or heat being out of whack...

12. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Well whatever the problem was the tank breakdown, cleaning, dissenfection, and back to back days of baths seems to have worked. Haven't seen him this active since I brought him home. I'm wondering of the subrate was causing some kind of irritation, he seems to be enjoying cruising around on the paper towels. Thank you herp center for your advise and support, as always!

13. CRRL

CRRL Elite Member

Great news! Thanks for the feedback.

14. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Good to hear. Dry eco-earth can be irritating a bit. I have ready that in a few places and am fairly sure that I experienced that as well. My corn snakes loved it dried out, but I think the carpets have slightly bigger scales and maybe they do not like it as much? This is just speculation, I have nothing to base this on.

15. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Its a little utilitarian in there right now for my tastes but its getting the job done just fine!

20130816_070059.jpg
    20130816_065552.jpg
    20130816_065537.jpg