This Disappears When Logged In

IJ Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Lucifer, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Member

Purchased a 5 week old Irian Jaya from the San Diego Reptile Super Show two months back, but I never found time to post about it. It's been feeding great, feed it a fuzzy every week, looking forward to moving up to hoppers/rat pups. The last time he shed was in one piece. It's fine with me picking it up, and it always moves around.

It's being kept in a 20 gallon; humidity is around 60 and the temperature goes from a little over 80 to about 76, I'm using an under tank heating pad. He's being kept on Eco-Earth with some sphagnum moss in his humid hide.

I like to feed him in a separate box but instead of just putting him on the bottom, I put together a perch so that he can eat while hanging. Not sure if that's alright, but I saw it on youtube, and it looks pretty cool.

He's about 18 inches long now and seems in be doing great except he likes to chill in his humid hide most of the time. I was wondering if I could be feeding it once every 5 days instead of 7.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

I prefer to just feed inside the enclosure. I don't like the idea of handling a snake that just ate a meal.

Every 5 days is fine for now, but so is every 7 days. It's really up to you.

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Member

Fed him a rat pup, thought it was little big but he handled it pretty well. Wasn't that hard to switch him over from mice, but that might be because the entire feeding tub smells like mice.

4. Lucifer

Lucifer Member

Hasn't eaten since the last post, it's been about 5 weeks, not really sure what to do. Brought a rat pup home, he didn't eat it so I froze it for the week after. Did the same thing again, still didn't eat. And right now I have a frozen rat pup from Friday waiting for next week. Any tips or suggestions?

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

What are your temps and humidity at? I'm hoping your using digital with probes to measure everything. One month is not too bad depending on how much its eating prior. I'm assuming he's around 3 months now.... Do you know how he was eating when you got him. Also do you have and photo of the enclosure, are you still removing him for feedings? I know it's a lot of questions but it will help if we know this

6. JohnC

JohnC Elite Member

If he is not eating, he may well be in the shedding cycle, or he may have decided that he does not like rats after all, most IJ carpets including myine insist on mice. Try a mouse fuzzy.