This Disappears When Logged In

IJ Carpet Python Enclosure Upgrades

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by jdandlucy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Peaches my adult IJ is in need of a cage make over. well more i am tired of looking at how bland it is. her enclosure is a custom built 4'h x 4'w x 2'd. IMG_20130627_212243.jpg the hot side has to stay where it is on the left. their is a pane of glass in the floor for the UTH. DSCN0236.jpg ( pic is from construction) i have started building a waterfall water dish for the back right corner but is several weeks away from completion IMG_20131105_202734.jpg . she really likes the stump hide i made, so that will stay. DSCF0193.jpg their is one branch that is in the very center of the enclosure that connects to the top. besides covering the walls with fake plants anything else i can do? and that she will use? Peaches is almost 3000g and 81" long. the sides of her enclosure are 1/4" hardboard with 1"x2" frame.

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

waterfalls can be a pain, make sure to use a good filter system

3. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

IMG_20131110_202817.jpg IMG_20131110_202809.jpg IMG_20131110_202755.jpg IMG_20131110_202855.jpg i did a redesign of the waterfall. and the filter is a fluval. it is meant for a 5g tank.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And make sure that there are absolutely no openings that would allow the snake to get inside.

5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

a little snake could, but not peaches. their is only one spot she could get in to and if she did it would pop the cover on the filter. their is no chance of her getting stuck under water.

6. JoeyG

Looking good!

7. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Hey, glad to see peaches is doing well. Does she like to just sit and chill in her water bowl? Generally IJ's are not know for their affinity for water, they come from Savannah-type regions.

8. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

No, i never see her even drink. I was thinking with the sound of the waterfall, she may be more interested.

9. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Mine is the same way, and my reasoning for starting a waterfall was the same as yours lol. Most of them do not care much for water, personally I do not think the venture may be worth it. Looks like as awesome design you got going though. I would be very interested to see how this goes. Worse case scenario you have to go get a new snake that appreciates your creativity more lol.

10. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Lol apparently I have a very strange IJ then, as Stryker loves his waterbowl. Lol if yours doesnt appreciate the craftsmanship I'm aure Stryker would take it off your hands ;)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Many snakes are reluctant to drink around their keepers when new. It puts them in a vulnerable position.
    As they become more accustomed to you you may catch them drinking.

12. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i have had Peaches almost a year, and have never seen her drink. if she dont like the waterfall i have a BP who loves water. i would just have to build him a big enclosure.

13. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

from what i have read, the IJ comes from rainforests in new quinea, a coastal comes from the plains of Australia.

14. JoeyG

I want to say it's somewhere in the middle as far as habitat. Though they are from the Merauke Island as well I don't believe they occupy the rainforests.... Not an authority on them by any means but I seem to remember from somewhere they're more woodland, not too much interest in soaking. Hope this helps a little :)

15. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

IMG_20131113_201839.jpg IMG_20131113_205935.jpg test run with paint before i finish sculpting the foam. i think it will turn out just fine. i will add a little black with dry brush to give it more depth.

- - - Updated - - -

the second pic is not 2 different colors, the bottom piece is not dry yet, so it looks lighter.

16. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

IMG_20131114_214333.jpg left wall sculpted and base coat done. front wall and pump cover got black washed.