This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana to adopt/Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by jengal, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengal

jengal Elite Member

At the vet's office here in Indianapolis, there is a posting for an approx 4 yoa male green iguana that is free to a good home. I called the current owner and spoke with him at length. Here are the detailed notes I took over the phone:

The current adopted the iguana approx. 1 year ago from a guy who was sent to Iraq. The iguana weighs about 2 lbs and approx. 1 ft. long. He is growing well; was only about 5 or 6 inches long when they got him. He eats vegetables and repcal (sp.?). He is missing a toe from a fight when with the prior owner, and the end of his tail is missing as well. He had a minor infection of some kind last year from which he has fully recovered.

The prior owner had four kids and several pets, so the iguana was stressed out and aggressive when it arrived to the current home. He's no longer aggressive, but not friendly either. He can be pet and is starting to be able to be handled, but not quite there yet.

The current owner is, in fact, very fond of the iguana, but wants to pass it on for 'practical' reasons. They have a female iguana as well, but the two of them fight, so have to be kept in separate rooms. I have the impression that they have free reign in those rooms, but I'm not sure. However, the owner reports that since they have gotten larger, it is harder to keep them 'contained' in their respective rooms. Also, they have too many pets in the house: 4 cats, 2 dogs, 2 iguanas, and a few aquariums, while the owner works 14-hour days, and his girlfriend (or wife?) works as well.

They love the iguana and have already rejected several potential adoptive families because they weren't adequately able to care for it, or because they had little kids, etc.

For more info, you can call them directly at 317-225-3075 or 317-332-9395. I can't remember the guy's name, but his wife/girlfriend is Amy.

I'm happy to facilitate the potential adoption. If you want me to go to their house and check it all out or anything like that. In that case, please send me a private message and we'll work it out from there.

Hope someone can step up to the plate! I feel sorry for reptiles who have less-than-ideal circumstances which, of course, are beyond their control.

Jennifer Gal

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

wow! That is a small iguana for being 4 years old! That is definately an iguana that will take a lot of rehab and TLC! That s great that you are trying to find a home for it! Good luck with that process and let us know how it goes!

3. jengal

jengal Elite Member

I am ignorant about Iguanas, so I had no idea it was small for it's age. How much should it weigh? The guy estimated the weight over the phone, so maybe he's wrong. I'll call him today and ask him to weigh and measure him so I have exact info for a potential adopter.

I'll keep you posted.

Jennifer Gal

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I suspect that at that weight the 1 ft long measurement is from snout to vent not total length.

5. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

I would sure hope so, but that would still make this ig quite a bit under weight. Maybe the estimate is way off.

6. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

My 4 yr old female iguanas are 4 ft and weigh in at 6-7 lbs....so I would say this poor thing was neglected at some point...or not proper UVB or food......best wishes though.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.