This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Black Spot Help

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Mariah74, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Mariah74

Mariah74 New Member

My daughter got this Iguana 3 weeks ago from a pet store. He's not very social, but shes patiently working on that. The little guy has recently developed a black spot on the side of his head/neck/dewlap that seems to be slowly growing. We're going to take him to the vet for a checkup in a few days, but I am concerned about this spot. He has a good setup, a large wire cage with a UV and basking light, its not burns because we have them hanging over the cage and he cant get to them. He did have a few mites, but we used spray and cleared them up shortly after we got him. Hes on a 12 / 12 cycle, he eats well, and poop looks good. He is pretty stressed in this photo because we just took him out of the bath. We were hoping a good soak in warm water would help clear it up, but it did not. Here is a picture of it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    iguana.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you crop the pic to zoom in to the area, also, how are you maintaining the conditions in a wire "bird cage" type setup?

3. Mariah74

Mariah74 New Member

The UV and basking light are both from the pet store, not sure the watts, I threw away the boxes, but we made sure to buy the right ones. We also have a night time ceramic heat emitter.

Today he had collard greens, with a side of squash and zucchini, with a few raspberries (He loves those), topped with sprinkles of Calcium and multivit, we stick to a good Iguana diet, no lettuce in this house.

we live in Florida, where it's usually humid, but being winter, he has a humidifier, and a spray bottle when needed, until the winter of death passes.

His Temps are 92 right under the basking light, 77 where he sleeps (in the corner), The very bottom is 72.
    So far the wire cage has been easier than the wood one I had years ago for my iguana, he loves to climb the sides, thats why we have the lights high enough where he cant grab them.

we use the green reptile carpet, except in the picture, I am currently washing it and letting it dry so I have sheets of paper towel down on the bottom because the lil guy likes to romp thru his water and make a mess.

I thought fungus but the skin isnt raised or furry, its just the same as the rest of his skin.

Hes under the basking light on top of the log in this picture, so you can see the cage is large enough. When he grows up we'll build something indoor/outdoor style for him. But for now hes just a baby. We got him from a pet store that paid no attention to him and fed him lettuce, so hes very anti-social, my daughter is working with him every day, and hes getting better...slowly.
    cage.JPG

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, are the temps you give ambient and surface, and what type of thermometer/hygrometer are you using, and can you give details on the heat/light bulbs?
    The problem with using bird cages is that the conditions in the room are basically the conditions in the enclosure, which may not always be what`s best for the animal. The humidity in the room is what the humidity is in the cage (no problem if it`s relatively stable, and similar to what they need), is that the case?
    The patch looks like it may be an infection (it doesn`t need to be "raised" or "furry" to be so.
    You can try gently dabbing the area with a diluted iodine solution; 1 (one) part iodine to 50 (fifty) parts water (quite weak), just do that once per day, but I would advise seeing a vet, antibiotics might be needed.

5. Mariah74

Mariah74 New Member

We took him to the vet today. The vet said he has great color and bones, and is in overall great health, and that hes a little spoiled. The black spot ended up being a old bruise or trauma and put him on antibiotics injection once a day for 10 days to keep from getting a infection in the blood. He said it should clear up by the end of the 10 days. I was worried his skin was rotting away or something.

The room we have him in is a small bedroom and it is very warm and humid in the room as a whole, that's why we're keeping him in there in the winter. We also bath him in warm water, and mist him with water often. He also likes to swim in his water bowl. I use small digital thermometers scattered throughout his cage. He likes playing with them.