This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Bite Wounds *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Moshpitrockchick, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Iguanas are notorious for taking a dislike to some people, and can do so for no apparent (to us anyway) reason at all!
    Mine had never exhibited any behavior of that type and she had been carried around into flea markets and petstores, being touched and looked at for years. But her first introduction to the new neighbor in our Apt complex resulted in a total freak out!
    It was all I could do to hang on to her. Who knows what goes on in their scaley little heads at times.

Its a difficult choice to have to make and I stand behind Lacey in her decision.

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I totally agree with what you want to do Lacey. Only you know what is going on and how hard it is. You've made a decision and I respect that. The risk of someone else, anyone else having their face munched on is not worth the risk. I would do the same.
    Good luck and keep us updated. :)

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

UPDATE:
    Today is moving day, I gave him a little bit (10mg) of oral acepromazine to take the edge off this morning and it's starting to kick in. I had to go to work for a few hours but I'm going to head home around 11:00 and see how mellow he is and hopefully I'll be able to catch him and box him up and move him to the pet store. This has been a huge source of stress for me and hopefully after today I'll be feeling better about all of this.

Now I've got to get rid of this giant cage, ugh!

I'll try to take some pics of the move.

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Good luck and keep us up to date!;) I know it must be tough. Just hang in there!

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

are you going to donate your cage to a shelter?

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Kendelle has a great idea if you can't sell it, and if its to a non-profit that is registered, they could give you a pricey tax write off receipt for it!

Have you checked out his new home yet?

7. Moshpitrockchick

There aren't any reputable rescues on this side of the state, just one hoarder who I hear is awful. Lucky for me Wendy (who owns the petstore) told me that if no one picks it up on craigslist I can assemble it down there in the shop and sell it on consignment so that's better than nothing.

Moving him couldn't have gone any easier. Once sedated he was back to his old self, it almost made me feel guilty for sending him off to the store. I took some pictures of the process:

In transit: (I felt ridiculous, i put on long sleeves and welding gloves and close toed shoes and grabbed a broom just in case to move him and he hardly even puffed up when I climbed into his cage to grab him)
    box.jpg

This is a bad photo (cell phones can only do so much) of the disclaimer that goes on the cage and tells about the costs and dangers of owning an iguana along with my ugly mug.
    disclaimer.jpg

Exploring his new kingdom:
    explore.jpg

Over-all shot of the cage before the decorations were put in:
    wholecage.jpg

And here's me (and Zola) showing off my battle scars:
    8.jpg

It's a lot better than this, huh?:
    bite1.jpg

Attached Files:

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m glad it all went well for both of you, at least you can go and visi,t which is better than never seeing him again. (Unless you didn`t want to, but I doubt that).

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes lacey, but the sedative was making him that nice ig all over again, and we can't rely on sedating him every day of his life. hopefully the new home will work out well, and hopefully eventually you can sell his cage.

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

There is no Humane Society? They normally have really bad cages for Ig's or snakes and have to put them in whatever they come in, or a bad cage that they have themselves, maybe they would be interested. I bet they could even put kittens or something in. If you can't sell it.

11. Moshpitrockchick

I promise I didn't lie to you Kendalle. They don't handle reptiles. Period.

12. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Well I am glad that it all went okay in the end. I wish that I could read the whole paper on Dizzy's cage. It looks very educational. I know it must of been very hard to do, but the situation is best for everyone. Take care and good luck.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Ah, crazy. I figured they just never got any in. Our humane society doesn't hardly ever have any.

14. Medium

Medium Elite Member

It is so good to see a happy ending! I really like how you guys have put up the info on your bite along with him. I hope all is well now.

You and your bearded dragon look great! They did a wonderful job and I think the scars hardly show. Bet they even will get smaller as the time goes on. :)

15. Moshpitrockchick

Well I'm probably going to go visit the Monster on Thursday and see how he's acclimating after a week in his new home, I'm optimistic though since he went and ate on his first day in there. Hopefully he hasn't killed anyone yet.
    I also have a guy coming to check out the cage this week so hopefully it'll be gone and I can be all done with everything and move on to new things.

16. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Good deal.

17. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I wish you were closer, I need another cage. Oh well, I am so glad that this is working out so well.

18. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Me too!

19. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That's great news :)

20. iguanagirl10

iguanagirl10 New Member

Hello,
    I'm new to this site (I've already introduced myself in the proper thread). I have an 11-year old adult male green iguana named Harriet. I raised him from an iglet myself at 12-years old (my parents were clueless in general about iguanas), and he was a happy, docile pet until about a year ago. Then he started getting aggressive as the weather started to warm up.
    It happened after I moved back home for the summer after graduating college and lived with my parents for almost a year. It was a familiar home but for some reason he absolutely would not tolerate anyone but me (especially my parents, though he was a little more accepting of my boyfriend whom he'd known for 3.5 years).
    Long story short, I went on a 10-day vacation in which my boyfriend took care of him. He ended up attacking and biting my dad's big toe right through the nail. It healed up fine (never would have happened if I had been home though). For some bizarre reason that seemed to take the edge off and he was normal again for quite a number of months.
    Until last month when he decided to take a bite out of my boyfriends face (he works evenings mostly, so he gave him the daily soak while I was at work). Chantz, my boyfriend, was reaching toward him one morning when my green iguana suddenly lunged from his shelf with no warning.
    Needless to say, I took the afternoon off to take Chantz to the ER. Totaled 18 stitches (nowhere near as bad as Moshpitrockchicks). I felt horrible. I still do. This is a pet that my boyfriend accepted with me as part of the package. We've been dating for over 4 years now, and he seems okay with what happened. He's a good man.
    I've uploaded pictures. I'm the only one that handles Harriet now, and he mostly behaves normally with me. But I'm still very very careful...
    Sorry this is so long, but I thought I'd put my (or my boyfriends) awful experience out there as another warning.
    ~Natalie

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.