This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Bite Wounds *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Moshpitrockchick, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

2. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Lacey, you certainly do look a lot better! And I am so happy to know that you found a good place for Dizzy. Don't worry - he won't miss you at all especially if he keeps getting the good kind of care you gave him and lots of yummy food!

I had mentioned what happened to you (no names or anything) on another site I am on, just as a warning to people about the dangers of keeping these iguanas. I am glad the pet/feeder shop is going to use him as an example of how big they get!

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

It will all smooth over with time! I think that most people will see those big brown eyes and will care less about anything else!

Just look forward to the day where you will not have to put up with room mates! That day is coming! And it is a wonderful day!

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

MUCH BETTER. That plastic surgeon did a great job. :)

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Unfortunately it had to come to this, and I can't blame you one bit. It's a hard choice and you are doing what's best.

My only concern is if he had a hard time adjusting to one new roommate, how will he adjust to dozens of people ogling over him at a retail store?

We had a similar situation at the store where we purchased Rex so many years ago. The store finally stopped selling iguanas and set up an educational display, just like you describe. The large male they put in there was calm for the most part, but no one would really handle him, he was pretty aggressive.

I hope Dizzy does well in the new environment. Perhaps a hide box will help him in the beginning not to feel too exposed.

You look like you are healing nicely. I'm glad to see that.

6. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Looking much better. Keep putting ointment on it, I wish you were closer, I could show you some massage techniques to help minimize scarring.

I'm glad you found something for Dizzy that will make it easier & better for both of you.

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Maybe you could ask for a double paned enclosure so to speak with about 5 inches in between each pane.
    Everyone knows how some people like to tap on the glass and annoy the animal inside! Just an idea.

8. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

wow, thats intense. I just took in a very poorly kept iguana about 2 weeks ago now, her tail had rotted off and she has no nails on her front right toes. she is very tempermental understandable ofcourse. Who wouldn't be upset about that. She bites me everytime i take her out, i made the mistake of letting her close to my face and she bit down on my chin and started thrashing. Sometimes she is very sweet and comes to me readily I'm hoping that she realizes i'm goin to treat her better and calms down but thats probably wishful thinking on my part.

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

How is Dizzy doing now, and how are you, Moshpitrockchick (Lacey)???

10. Moshpitrockchick

Well, the moving day is nearing and I am getting really nervous about how I am going to get him from point A to point B. He's become really aggressive lately and I haven't even been able to get into his cage to feed and water him consistently, I have to wait most nights until he's asleep to get in and fish out his food dish and re-fill it. Forget about bathing and cleaning up poop.
    He's not the adorable green marshmallow that he was before I got my roommate and I don't feel like he ever will be again and it breaks my heart but everyday I have to look at a reminder of what he did and I just can't have him on my home anymore.
    I think I am probably going to sedate him for the move, I've been researching the best methods to do it by. I am thinking the safest and least stressful for all involved is probably going to be to crush up some acepromazine and put it on a piece of bread the night before I move him to take the edge off. Assuming that it lasts 8 hours in mammals he'll probably be drugged all day.
    I'll be sure to share pictures once I get him moved, the new cage is huge and has lots of shelves and space and a good area for him to hide out.He's going ot be king of the store for sure.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is best, very tough decision, good luck to you both.

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Once he is all set in his new home and everything seems fine, Don't think twice about sharing your feelings about a long term friend/child being gone from your life!
    We've all been there and it sucks to see an animal that we have spent so much emotional energy on be gone from our lives!

Crying over a reptile is something that few people ever experience! I would say,"Welcome to the club!" But i already know that you have been a member for a very long time!

13. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

I think sedating him is a bad idea. How much would you give him? What if he OD's?

We took Ozzy (a very irate lizard) to the vet and he wrapped some gauze around his head to cover his eyes. Iguanas are like alligators in the sense that if they can't see, they kind of just go into "limp mode". I would try that. And if he's super ****ed off, just throw a towel at him from some distance to cover his head, that should calm him down enough so that you can get ahold of him.

14. Medium

Medium Elite Member

This is one reason I decided to hang with the little guys. I am sorry I missed this whole thread. This site is pretty big and I don't click on every thing. I know for sure mixing a big guy with my other house animals would really be a bad idea now...that bite looks stressful! Glad your feeling better. I hope the move goes well for you, it sure is a wise choice, and knowing he will be getting a safe haven, must really help you feel a bit better. Try not to be to upset when you get him moved...if he is still acting aggressive, this is the best option.

I send you all my support! And well wishes!

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I will add to this, that Lacey works for a vets office so if she did choose sedation, it would be an educated dose.

16. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

Ah, gotcha, I didn't know that.

17. Moshpitrockchick

Along with what Liz said about me being a vet assistant I think you are under estimating the amount of aggression we are dealing with here, I can't even go into his room without him launching himself at the glass and usually bleeding and terrifying all parties involved. He's not only a danger to me (Not spending another $5k again) but he's a danger to himself.

For everyone's safety he's getting a little something to take the edge off. It's not going to knock him out, it's just going to make him relax a bit. I think it will be better for him to wake up in the new cage slowly instead of just being tossed in there while he's p*ssed off.

I'm just waiting to get my phone call so I can make plans to move him.

18. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

so is he in breeding mode? or is this a random change in character? If so, and he is so aggressive and hurting him self when he isn't in breeding season he may be 100x worse in breeding season and maybe will have to be put down eventually if he doesn't get any happier. It would be very painful for him to hurt himself day after day for the rest of his life, not to mention the poor person that has to clean and feed him.

19. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that sedating him is definitely the best way to go for all parties involved. No need for everyone to be stressed out any more than they already are. Good luck with the move, I sure he'll do fine. It's the 2 of you that are doing this, so you know what needs to be done, just trust your instincts.

20. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I am so sorry for you that this has to happen at all!! You say the aggression started when you got a new room mate. Is it possible that she did something to him? I ask that because that is partialy what happened to my 9 year old. I initialy got her because of the family moving, but no one was handeling her either because of her recent aggresion. Come to find out, they ran a bait shop and one of the employees used to stick a ruler into her cage and jab at her. They had her in one of those stupid "Iguana Kingdom" and they did not know this untill she was in my care. The employee was bragging to one of the daughters after the fact of what she did. No one in the family had any idea that had gone on. It has taken me 3 years to get her back and she certainly is not trusting of just anyone!!

I hope that things go well for the both of you after this move!! My thoughts are with you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.