This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Bite Wounds *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Moshpitrockchick, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As I already told you Lace, at least you have your eyesight still! He could have very easily caused permanent eye damage.

Get well soon!

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Feel better Lacey. I found a recipe for Iguana Stew if you want it ;)

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m really sorry to hear this, but it`s a lesson to us all, ANY animal we keep whether "domesticated" (just a word, it has absolutely no meaning) or "wild" can become defensive in the blink of an eye, and large animals like these can do considertable damage. As Rich said, you`re VERY lucky you still have your eyesight. I guess the shock of what happened is as bad as the pain you must be in just now, as I`ve mentioned before, iguanas, especially the males, are much more difficult than Varanids in many ways.
    I know you`ll never blame the animal, and we must never do that, we keep them with us against their will ....
    I hope you`re feeling better soon, at least you`ll have a nice scar you can "show off" to everyone!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I so sorry that this happened to you. :(He definetly did a job on your face, but as Rich said, It could have been alot worse. Thank God he didn't do it to someone else, they would most likely not take it as well as you could. Well I guess it goes to show us that caution is to be used with an Iguana even if they are tame. Hope you feel better soon. No treats for him today.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think iguanas like stew, but she can give it a try, nice to see you don`t hold it against the animal! :D

7. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

Wow, sorry about what happened :(
    If that was me I would have been crying!

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Hi Lacey,
    Hope you are healing well, so sorry this happened!
    You were very lucky !
    We have a poster that we use at all of our rescue events, on why these guys do not make good "pets" for beginners, a pic on there is of a lady who's nose was ripped off, terrible damage to her.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good greif, Lacey!!!!!!
    What a shock that must have been.
    As strange as it sounds,... you were lucky. As Rich said you could have lost an eye!
    You take it easy and get better soon!

10. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Get better soon!! WOW, my frogs are in shock from the pics.

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Holy moly Lacey! I am so sorry this happened to you! Feel better soon thank the Lord you still have your eyesight!
    I feel so bad for you. :(

12. reptastic

reptastic Well-Known Member

omg!!! i am so sorry to hear about this, i have a large male iguana also and he is usually agressive, so i have my guards up with him at all time, i have been bitten by smaller iguanas, but i definately wouldnt want him to bite me!

13. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Wow, what a shock! I hope you heal well. I'm definitely going to keep your story in mind whenever anyone is around my guy now.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's the 'tame' ones that get you. We get a little complacent with docile animals, let our guard down. The aggressive ones keep us on our toes.

Your a brave person, going to a hospital.

Has anyone given you grief yet about keeping that "monster" despite that he's "clearly a danger to humanity"?.

I know if one of my herps injures me, I do not hold it against them. I consider it an occupational hazard (kind of like owning cats and getting scratched - it happens.), but outsiders to the herp world do not always understand it.

15. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Lacey - I hope you get better soon. Wow, I can't believe that happened - I'm so sorry!!! I'm glad they sent you to a plastic surgeon, I wouldn't worry about the short term 'crappy look' - you'll heal better with a plastic surgeon stitching you up.

It is a serious reminder to all those that think their reptile (of any variety) is pet tame -- people forget that they are wild, no matter how long they have behaved beautifully and been friendly. I wish things like this would get down to the level of pet stores, before they tell some unsuspecting Mom how easy it is for their kid to keep an ig!

I'm just sorry you had to be an example!

Good Luck!!

16. hangtown530

hangtown530 Elite Member

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal I hope there's no permanent damage.

17. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Good golly. Maybe he thought your face was a salad??
    Insurance is a wonderful thing -- having been in the hospital so much in the last five months I know I would be past my eyeballs in debt. Hope you get well soon. This really sucks and I'm sorry. Keep your chin up, even though most of us on this site have never met you, we love you anyway and want you to get better!

18. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

ACK, that's terrible! Like others have said, though, it could have been a lot worse. Also like others said, it's the tame ones that get you. Ozzy pretty much wants to kill me 100% of the time so I'm always on guard. Hope you heal up well!

19. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Poor Lacey- Proof positive that they really don't love us no matter how much love we shower on them. That is one spoiled brat! Thanks for sharing the pain- and the warning!

20. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

And after all that you still manage a smile for the camera!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.