This Disappears When Logged In

Ignorance and Snakes

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by traveler, Aug 16, 2012.

1. traveler

traveler Member

Last week while competing in an archery tournement in South western Pa., an idiot in the group in front of me proceeded to smash a gravid Timber Rattlesnake with a rock. The snake was off the path and posed no threat to anyone.
    Before I could stop him it was done.
    I was so ****ed off I wanted to put an arrow in his empty skull.
    After a heated debate, I explained to him that what he had done was illegal and STUPID.
    I also told him that if I had cell service, the PA Game wardens would be visiting him.
    I just dont get it ????

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

People are rediculous. I am sorry you had to witness that.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Some people just disgust me, poor snake! :(

4. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

DISGUSTING!!!!! It’s actions like this that make me wonder if there is any common-sense left in the world.

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

very sad :( did any of the babies make it?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You have to consider that a lot of this attitude is inherited, handed down generation to generation.
    My own family was one of those that the only good snake is a dead snake!
    I guess I just turned out to be a mutant!
    Terrifying all of them with the things I dragged home as a child.

7. traveler

traveler Member

The babies were under developed and all dead when I found her. Her rattle was also gone. I attempted a post mordom c section to no avail.

8. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

wat? why? even my snake-o-phobic mom wouldnt do that........

9. traveler

traveler Member

Thats exactly what was at work here.

10. ZooLew

ZooLew Member

Thats just pointlessly brutal. Seems like a really extreme reaction, surely the best solution in situtations like that is to remove the human element. Thats a down side you guys have to deal with due to coming from a country with abundant snake species that has its population centres in large cities. You don't get that kind of thing happening in other places that are more used to snakes like in Asia. Western society on the whole has a largely distorted view of reptiles in general, people just won't take telling.

11. mele

mele Elite Member

I just don't understand what the **** goes through the minds of some people :( To go out of their way for such a stupid and hateful act....

12. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Too bad he didnt get bitten.

13. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

"No, sir, I don't know how his bow cord got frayed, but that sure is a nasty laceration, isn't it?"

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Wonder if he'd like it if someone went into his home and hit him on the side of the head. People are arrogant and ignorant!!

15. traveler

traveler Member

Mostly, there uneducated. While it would have been fun to watch one of his limbs turn black, that would only serve to further aggrivate this kind of thinking.

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree but as is often said, ignorance is no excuse

17. CentriRitanni

If it's a common practice, I'm sure it'll come back around. My back door neighbor used to kill turtles--a lot. The last time I saw him (the day after his ex-wife took their children away since they were mutilating turtles on his watch), he was missing 4 fingers, all due to snappers.

18. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

well, if you go to kill an animal that isnt hurting anyone and lose a few fingers, you got what you deserved. same with the snake. if you aren't going to eat it, and it's not hurting anyone, why kill it? and if you do kill it, for food or protection, at least kill it mercifully.....

19. CentriRitanni

This guy was seriously off his rocker. When he was ten, he put a snapping turtle in his back pack, and at some point it bit off the end of his pinkie finger, thus starting his vendetta against all turtles. He worked with my dad, my dad watched him swerve an 18 wheeler across a 3 lane highway to run over a turtle (which popped his tire and he was fired for doing). But he spread this behavior to his children. Told his 6 year old to take a hammer to a turtle's shell to see what it looked like inside. Seriously, seriously messed up. Mysteriously someone got pictures of this, almost as though a neighbor with a camera living behind him might have been watching then passed the photos along to his ex. Weird. >:)

20. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

wow..... when i was little and wanted to learn what the insides of people and animals looked like, my parents bought me books on it.....i wanted to disect a dead frog i found, but my parents drew the line there.... is this guy in jail now? he sounds like he should be....