This Disappears When Logged In

If My Plants Suddenly Start Dying....

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by Maaso, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I have many plants in my Anole's home. Pothos I think they are called. Lately, they have been looking drab and wilted. Some have even died.

Anywho, just wondering if plants dying means that the UVB/A in my bulb is dying out? Since plants need sunlight to thrive...right?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Plants can survive in any type of visble light, they do not require UVB. I would look more in to your watering practices.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would suspect its too dry if its wilting. They like it more damp than not, and can survive in just water. Be sure to water in addition to just misting.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pothos is an understory plant, and can survive with any household lighting at all, even dim lighting. They are not picky on wavelength.

If your plants are looking droopy, you can take them out and revive them by soaking them a couple days in some water with fertilizer in it.

If you have a fish tank, or even if you have herps that tend to poop in their water, it can be used to fertilize plants. When I clean my CWD pool, I bottle the water, because she has pooped in it, and use it to water my houseplants. Same when I clean my fish tank. As a result, we have a habanero plant growing on our table, that has never seen a minute of natural sunlight, but it flowering as I speak, and with any luck, will give us some peppers soon.

5. 1melissa3

1melissa3 Elite Member

Now I understand why some would collect the gator infested Florida waters. Whoever would have thought?

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

poop = good fertilizer. I have started watering my house plants from the fish tanks.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I did a water change on my scar tank last night. I have 9 jugs of poopy water. I usually save one or two for me, and give the rest to people with gardens.

8. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I have an alligator....I haven't cleaned his tank's filter in a week either, maybe I will water my plants with his water.

9. SteveWD

SteveWD Elite Member

Thats a good trick to know. I am going to be starting an all natural scence for the anoles i would like to get. do you have just pothos plants in there?