This Disappears When Logged In

Identify This Rat Snake Please!

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by hackersid, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hackersid

hackersid Member

Hello,

Can someone please help me identify this rat snake? which breed is this? Its around 7ft.
    Someone said its oriental rat snake but another person said its a "Coachwhip" snake. Now I am confused.

Whats his/her gender? I am assuming its a male.

Do I need to provide a heat source or will they do fine on room temp as told by previous owner?

Also what should I feed it? I don't have access to mouse/rats as there are no reptiles shop here in my country. Previous owner told me that he will eat chicks or small birds like sparrow after 20 days gap. But someone on another forum recommended me a "quail"

Picture Gallery :
    Postimage.org / gallery - IMAG1605, IMAG1606, IMAG1608, IMAG1609, IMAG1610, IMAG1635, IMAG1637

Your help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first snake :)

Note : Don't worry about the gravel as am going to shift him to newspaper bedding.

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Hm. Not sure what kind of snake it is, but i would definitely get it a larger enclosure. Quail would be fine, but young chicks are fine as well. If it were me, i'd try and order mice online, if you can't get them in person.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The tail does have a decidedly coachwhip look about it. But the striping on the face tends to make me think of the ratsnakes. And mature coachwhips tend to be more solid colored without the variations.
    How is it's temperment? Coachwhips are high strung and are usually busy trying to latch onto any part of your body it can get hold of!
    So I am going to guess ratsnake.

That said,.... a couple of generalities. Yes they can eat birds. You want something about as big around as the snake's body at its widest point.

But room temperatures may not work. It depends on what your room temperature is. You will need a basking spot of 85-90F with a cooler end at around 75-80F.
    And you really need a bigger cage. It should be 2/3 the length of the snakes body.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I believe it is a coachwhip. I also am not aware of any ratsnakes that get to 7 feet. But I am not that familiar with any rat snakes other than my native species.

Where did it come from? If it is wc, a location can really narrow it down.

5. hackersid

hackersid Member

Yes, I am building another 6ft enclosure and will shift him when it is ready.
    I don't think any website ships frozen stuff to Pakistan.

Well people keep telling me that its "ptyas mucosus" or "ptyas korros". He is (I think) "scared" and just stays in his hide coiled up like in that picture. I have never seen him move in his enclosure.
    I am litttle bit scared of him biting me so I dont handle him much. This is my first snake ever.

But someone told me that he is not a coachwhip as his head doesn't look like one :s

I am from Asia, Pakistan and I believe it to be local breed.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I do not know anything about rat snakes or coachwhips but he is a very pretty snake.

7. Merlin

8. Merlin

ptyas mucosus is also native to Pakistan.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

P. mucosus gets my vote...

10. shinta

shinta Member

Snakes jali is a kind of snake-eating rats were greedy, because it is often also referred to as a rat snake. Name in another language is Oray lingas (Sunds.), jali snake, snake or serpent wood Koros (Jawa.), and the Indo-Chinese rat snake (Inggris.). Scientific name is Ptyas korros (Schlegel, 1837).
    Besides snakes jali, there are several other types that are also called 'rat snake'. Among these are the pigs snakes (Elaphe flavolineata), cow snake (Elaphe radiata) and the green snake tail brown (Gonyosoma oxycephalum). These are all effective rat hunters in the paddy fields, home gardens, often to go to the roof of the house.
    Snakes jali spread from India, Bangladesh, China (including Hainan and Hong Kong), Taiwan, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, the Malay Peninsula, Singapore, Sumatra, Java and Bali, as well as Borneo.

Description of the body

Jali-bodied snake is quite large, up to 2 meters in length. Side of the body (dorsal) yellowish brown to blackish gray. Part of the front (anterior) is usually a lighter color than the black tail. The scales on the tail trimmed with black, giving the impression of a striped like wearing black stockings.
    The down side of the body (ventral) yellowish to light yellow. Her eyes are large. Similar relatives are Ptyas mucosus; distinguished by the black striped lips and in the back of the body. P. mucosus generally larger bodied, up to more than 3 m in length.

Living habits and conservation

Jali snake often found in rice fields, gardens and grounds, and especially near the riverbank. Its main prey are rodents, especially rats. But he also did not reject the other prey such as lizards and frogs. Snakes jali active in the morning until late afternoon, wandering around looking for prey on the ground. He is also good at climbing trees and shrubs, although rarely climb up high.
    Due to weak venomous snake bite is actually not so easily tamed and would make a great pet animals (pet animal).

11. hackersid

hackersid Member

Thank you so much guys! Now I am sure that its Ptyas mucosus