This Disappears When Logged In

Identification And Health Help!

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by SarahScales101, May 23, 2015.

1. Hi,
    My parents got me a lizard without my knowing and are unfortunately ignorant on anything about reptiles. They neglected to even ask the owner what kind of lizard it was. Now I have a small lizard on my hands with no idea of what it eats or how to fix the toes that seem to be breaking off of it, the poor little thing. I believe it to be some sort of spiny iguana, but not certain. Can anyone identify or give advice? Thanks! He (I'm calling it a he, I have no idea) has a club-like tail, is very small as you can see, and seems slightly lethargic.

Attached Files:

2. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

I've seen some lizards called Emerald Swifts that look like yours when they are brown. Or could be a Steppe Runner lizard? Those too are common reptiles you find in the trade. I am most likely wrong and hopefully someone shines in with an actual answer! Do you have an external heat source i.e a heat lamp of some kind? Your new lizard may be lethargic if it doesn't have an external heat source. Whatever it is, it's more than likely an insectivore. I'm not a 100% of any of this but someone else will shine in with better explanations hopefully! Did they buy the lizard with a setup?

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Spiny-tailed Iguana | Herp Center

Not an Emerald Swift that's for sure. I'm not familiar enough with step runners but I think their heads are a different shape all together.

4. I have a heat source, but I am not sure about the temps. I have a corn snake as well, (for which I did extensive research beforehand), and have been basing the temps for him off of that until I can find his species. Also, at what humidity should this little guy be at?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you crop the photo and zoom right in to the lizard, also a couple of the whole enclosure including the top and the heat/lighting?
    I`m almost sure it is an Iguanid of some kind. I think if you provide an ambient (air) temp of approx 21c (72f) in the coolest parts, and a basking surface temp of around 43c (110f) for the time being, together with a moderate humidity range of approx. 50% the animal should be o.k until you can identify it properly.

This is a Desert spiny lizard...
    Spniny%20male1%20900.jpg

6. damein1234

damein1234 Member

It definitely looks more terrestrial to me. I'm really putting my cards on a young Spiny-tail Iguana, or something close to that.
    But I am in no way any sort of lizard expert. I had just recently seen one at a show and looked very similar to this.

Maybe you could get your parents to contact the seller once more?

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the pic I put up of the Desert spiny lizard looks very, very similar to the OP`s animal from what I can see.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I hope you did not take offence to my post, I see now where it could have been taken more harshly than I intended. I was just trying to state what I know, Sceloporus I know :p The rest I can be a bit fuzzy on.

I know you know you stuff and would never try to slam your knowledge :)

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I didn`t take offense at anything you said, I expect you will be more familiar with these American lizards than I am! I just think from what I can see in the OP`s photos it looks very similar to the pic I found...

11. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'm with ya, the patterns are similar :)