This Disappears When Logged In

Ideal RES Setup

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Broken_Lyrix, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken_Lyrix

Broken_Lyrix Elite Member

Can anyone tell me the ideal RES setup? I want to make the perfect INDOOR setup I possibly can.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Ideal RES Setup?

Go big! If you have a place in your home where you could use a baby pool as an enclosure, use the baby pool. The bigger the enclosure, the happier the turtle will be.

The ratio I always suggest to people is that you should have 1/3 land and 2/3 water. In smaller setups, this typically doesn't work very well. (Which is why I suggest the user go as large as they possibly can.)

On the land portion you want to have a basking spot, with the UVB focused on that location as well as the added heat source. At the same time though, in an ideal setup, you want the other end to have no additional heat. It too can have UVB however. This will allow the turtle the ability to thermoregulate without having to choose between just the water and the land. He can get UVB where the temps are adequate for his needs at the time and can swim when everything is as he wants it to be.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Ideal RES Setup?

The general rule of thumb is 1 inch of shell per 10 gallons of water (so a 4 inch turtle should have 40 gallons tank). Remember that if you have two turtles, you need to double that.

A friend of mine just got a 125 stock barrel (water holder for horses, cows, etc..) for $65 and are making it their new turtle home for their 2 RES. Its important for them to have places to get out of the water and fully dry off. They also need room to swim.

Also remember you need to supply UVA and UVB for proper calcium metabolism and skeletal development of the red ear slider. This may be achieved by using a mercury vapor bulb or a fluorescent bulb with at least 5% - 10% output of UVB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.