This Disappears When Logged In

Idea!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Aug 6, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

I saw a video on Youtube that showed how to make a sort of snake shelf out of a bookcase. We're going to make one (hopefully soon)!

The shelf we are making will be a 4 foot tall x 3 foot wide shelf. We're probably just going to buy a simple, cheap bookcase at a thrift store, but if we can't find one we'll have to make one. Each actual shelf will have a small board over the front with slits for the sliding glass doors (yay!). The sides of each snake enclosure will have covered holes (forgot the word, whoops) for ventilation, and the inside of the enclosures will each have a heat cable sandwiched between pieces of glass at one end.

Sound good? Does anything need to be fixed or changed?

I'm not the best at explaining things, obviously, but you can take a look at the video, as we're pretty much making the exact same thing as the bookcase in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxh...P0DnIj&index=6

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Check craiglist for used furniture, solid wood is better than particleboard that a cheap new one would certainly be made from. Heat tape would be better than cable/s, and ceramic tile would work as well but look better than glass to distribute the heat.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Also most of the shelves you find will not be as deep as the piece in the video. Most bookshelves are only a little more than 11 inches deep. That's barely enough for the width of a 10 gallon tank. And I agree, use wood, not particle board or melamine. If moisture gets into both of those they will turn to mush.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  4. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

True. Would it be easier to make one to make sure the shelves are deep enough and made of the right material?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Could just make a rack, unless you were looking to make nice display cages.

I make some heat mats of my own by sticking flex watt to the underside of a ceramic tile. That way, they can be moved around, should you need to.

making it 100% watertight is tricky though, because any wood will swell when moistened. I make my racks out of melamine coated particleboard, but the snakes don't live directly on that surface, but in a plastic tub that sits on it.