This Disappears When Logged In

Idea for Waterdragon Home

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by beefcakemighty, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Well, you'd be suprised what a determined cat will do, mine have chased animals onto the roof before.

But there is also large birds to worry about.

as for what screen, i agree, the best bet would be 1/4-1/2 hardware cloth, and id suggest the vinyl covering.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

and under no circumstances use chicken wire. Its been responsible for many a waterdragon's lost toe!

3. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Piece of Landlord advice?: The best way to improve your chances of getting your landlords approval is to take them a complete sketch of what you want to do, written expaination of how everything is removeable and non-damaging to their building and a written description of how you are going to build/assemble the enclosure. Most Property Managers do not have authorization to permit such items and may need to forward the request to their corporate office. If you have everything in a written proposal...you might stand a better chance. :) Do it in advance...it may take a while for you to get a response back.

Thought I would put my 2 cents in...lol (Currently a 10 year landlord myself)

4. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

i like this one more its what i had more in mind... gives me room to sit out there with them and do what i want :)... i wasnt planning on chicken wire, ive seen what it does and thanks about the landlord advice ill have to do that....

5. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Is the "tree" in the middle gonna be a PVC pole? Was thinking about something like that for my viv. Can't locate a large piece of real tree as of yet, so I thought about constructing one out of pvc and attaching brown low-pile carpet to it so they can easily climb on it. Thoughts?

6. schlegelbagel

might get kinda stinky. If you wnat, you can do the Great Stuff Eco earth technique to it.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can use PVC or a peice of lumber that is sealed.
    For climbing just wrap it with rope.

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

The center tree could be pvc, but pvc is costly for 6 inch thats sch 40. You can get some cardboard tubes that they use for cement that is thicker and more sturdy that normal cardboard. Carpet tubes work good too. Just seal it so it wont get wet.

9. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Ya know, I was think about using the GS with the EE but I thought they might gouge it up with there claws. Not thats a problem...but how do you re-seal exposed GS with sealant while she is in the viv? (Or would I even have to? Could I just put new EE on the exposed area?)

10. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Oooh Oooh! Good idea! I have a vendor that sells carpet! Thank you!!!!! :)

11. schlegelbagel

I think Nate and Merlin have the right ideas.

12. beefcakemighty

lol it turns from my one idea to everyone putting in there own ideas awesome.... i like the carpet tube idea but i was think of getting a huge branch from the woods, it would work but i dont know how i would clean it so nothing can harm my WDs... i know you can bake smaller branches and rocks to clean them but if im getting something that about 9 feet long i dont think it will fit in the oven lol

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL I know what you mean. I have big branches in my iguana enclosure that I took into the bathtub and scrubbed in bleach water.
    Me standing in a pair of shorts, scrubbing a tree in the shower, was the source of much amusement for my wife!

14. beefcakemighty

haha i dont know what my girlfriend would think if she saw me doing that lol

15. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Called my carpet vendor and he said I could have all the carpet tubes that I wanted for free. lol :) My cats and the dragons will be very happy! Uh oh...I feel another project coming on...

16. beefcakemighty

WOOT more projects!!!

17. beefcakemighty

now im think how will i drain the water from a huge tub to change it???? i still have to write up that letter for the landlord ill do it sometime this weekend... i dont want to go out and start getting supplies and end up finding out i cant build

18. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Smart decision...lol Just depends on how lenient your landlord is. Are your thinking a baby pool size for your water..or bigger? They have those "bildg pumps" (sorry for the spelling) that you operate by foot. (for pumping water out of boats etc.)

I have a project BOOK! lol Everytime I get an idea, I have to write it down cuz I have to many to keep in my head... :)

19. beefcakemighty

yea about that size would be nice, the boat pump thing would work i guess???

20. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

You could pump it into a 5 gallon bucket and then pour it down the toilet. (?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.