This Disappears When Logged In

Idea for Waterdragon Home

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by beefcakemighty, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

[​IMG]left side of porch

[​IMG]right side of porch

[​IMG]showing how wide

[​IMG] showing how long

[​IMG] rip that needs fixing first

its 12feet X 6feet X 10feet and we're thinking about taking the left side and making that there home and leaving the rights so we can still have a table and two chairs out there.. ill post more picture when we get more time to work on it still not sure if its a total go yet...still need to plan thinks out, then theres money an with the little time i have its going to take some time if we decide to do this...

2. venus

venus Founding Member

I think as long as there is ample shade, that area looks like a great size for WD's. They will be very happy.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

also, you are going to have to replace that screen, with something that the UVB can get through. That screen will filter most of it out. But its a GREAT space and he will be happy. I also agree on the shade.

4. beefcakemighty

what type of screen would i need to use???

5. schlegelbagel

something that has holes larger than 1/4 inch. Yes it will let the bugs in, but it will also let the UVB in. I know you can get something that would work in the outdoor section at Lowes or Home Depot.

6. beefcakemighty

awesome ill have to look into it i dont care if the bugs get in plus we're on the third floor soo not much will get up there..

7. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Here are some tips for you, since you are up so high, would hate for neighbor below to have to deal with the smell or urine on their deck.

Get some 1"x12"s and put them on the front area where it over looks the pool. After you get them cut and in place, drill holes so you can wire the boards to the railing at the bottom. This will hold it so you dont have drill the floor. Next get some silicone and seal the gap up. This will help keep any substances from going to the floor below. Which will prevent some upset neighbors.

Next if this is for water dragons. Screen will not work. They will rip it off and be gone. Hardware cloth would be the way to go. You can get all sorts. If you want get some that is plastic coated too.

You may have to drill anyway to add some basking shelves or something. I would defintly check with the apartment first before you start this.

8. MoogleBass

I got really bored over the past 30 mins or so..Well it lead me to this. Since I cant build it really I Sketched it.

[​IMG]

1 and 2 are both cave hides. What these steps would be built out of would be 2x2 or 2x4s and covered with plywood. I was going to add a door but it didnt work out right. Still getting the hang of the program. But on the big one if you add a door it will help if you got to check on them. I didnt do it in this but i would make sure that there is a barrier like the 1x12s to keep the urine or anything from running out and down to the other apartment.

3 is just a light, I added that for extra I dont know if it will be needed or not.

The plants are just random placings, I tried to add a tree but it was way to big to fit. This is draw to about the same scale as the specs you gave.

The water feature id just use a tub or something. You could always stand some 2x12s on edge and brace the corners with 2 x4s, and then line it with a pond liner. Again its got the barrier so it will keep the water running down below again.

Any other questions?

9. schlegelbagel

Someone is bored and wanting to build.

10. MoogleBass

Yup, cant help it. Do this way I can dream big and guess what...no cost :) and also no cussing at something when i mess up lol.

11. beefcakemighty

WOW thats crazy i wasnt planning on goin about all that but thats awesome... i would have to sue a tub that i could drain..... i was thinking the pool would go on the left side and then the shelfs and braches would be above that and then i could use the cave idea and put it on one of the shelfs above the pool and still have room for a small table and two chairs so we could still sit out there...then a branch or two that would be above me so i dont walk into it and knock myself, it would across from the left side to the right side..

12. beefcakemighty

if you could try and use what i said and make a new image and then post it.. i would like to see how that looks...thats if you want to make a new one :eek:

13. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

Nice plans!! And a GREAT space!! Another reason to change your screen. Regular window/patio screen is not made for full-grown lizards crawling up it...especially when they exercise. The screen will get torn moderately easy.

SO MANY possibilities with your space! You have some great tips for this!

14. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Can't wait to see the pic's of when you have it built! hint hint lol

15. beefcakemighty

my main problwm is the screen... i need to fix that first and then i can start to work something for the porch but like i said it will be sometime before i get started im jsut in the plannin phase right now and its just an idea not sure if i can go through with it and its not my house its an apartment soo im not the owner of the building and if i start doing things they dont like ill get kicked out then the dragons will be homeless... first i have to get the planning set and done then just before i do work on it i have to get it OKed by the owners of the apartment complex:( i hope they will let me, ill have to make sure everthing is removable and that theres going to be no problem or damage to anything to convince them and let me do it..

16. MoogleBass

So you still want to have half of the area so you can sit and drink coffee and watch the dragons or not? If I get bored tmr I may change somethings. I just sat here and was like hmmm what the heck lets give it ago.

17. MoogleBass

[​IMG]

1 and 2 are hides.

I like the first idea I made better. I dunno just me though.

18. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I Love Google Sketchup for this exact reason here.

By the way, its a good thing you would replace the screen would you do it, uvb rays aside, i know that screnning won't keep a determined cat out. They can be tricky little things.

19. beefcakemighty

im on the third floor soo theres no way something like a cat would get up there and yea i want the table and chairs for drinking and just hanging out sorrry if i confused you ill ahve to try and make up a plan to post later...im at work soo i dont have time:mad:

20. schlegelbagel

haha, i like how nate has you eating and drinking WITH the dragon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.