This Disappears When Logged In

ID Needed

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Ssativa, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi everyone,

I need some help. My 13 yr. old brother is recovering from getting his tonsils out :eek:and has nothing to do but stare at his mystery newt that he purchased a few days ago. He would really like to know what it is but I haven't a clue- Here is a pic, I know the quality isn't great but maybe someone will recognize this creature?

Attached Files:

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

How big is it?
    I did a search and the closest I could come to it was a larval stage of the Chinese Fire Belly newt; (Cynops orientalis).

3. Ssativa

Based on his size appearance in comparison to that gravel he must only be about 1 1/2- 2 inches. I'm going to call and ask him now...oh yeah, he cant talk. On second thought I'll text him. He lives about 8 hours away from me so I haven't seen this newt in person. I agree that it does appear to be a larval stage of something with those gills.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If you see a picture of a larval Chinese Fire Belly newt it looks almost exactly like that :)

Again, I have no clue really, just did some surfing to try and help you out a little ;)

5. Ssativa

Attach a pic if you can. To me he kinda looks like a red spotted newt AKA eft. sorry, don't know the scientific name but I can't find a picture of one in its aquatic larvae stage.

6. katie41586

katie41586 Elite Member

to me it looks just like a mudpuppy

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

looks like a mud puppy to me too

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I've never seeen a mud puppy that small!

9. Ssativa

They do start out really tiny, but I think we need better pics.

The only distinguishable feature that I can find in this picture are the five spots on running down probably on both sides (although we only see one side) of his spine.

This is starting to drive me nuts. What is it?!

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

See if you can have your brother send a closer picture of it. It would be way easier to tell with a close up :)

11. willk

willk Active Member

No, it's not a mudpuppy, it's not thin enough and it has spots. You should re post a picture of it in a few weeks because that's a salamander or newt tadpole. Once it's gills are gone, it should be easier to recognize its species.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.