This Disappears When Logged In

ID needed

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Ssativa, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Hello. A friend of mine came across this baby snake in his front yard. I think it looks like a corn snake but I am not sure. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

corn or rat snake i would say a corn but lets see what others say

3. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

He said that in the direct sun light it kinda of turned a emrald greenish color. I took the snake out in the sun but I did not see any green.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its not a corn snake.
    I wouldn't think it was a rat either with that thickened body structure. Baby ratsnakes are long and slender. And that alternate blotching on the sides is not something I have seen before.
    Possibly some sort of watersnake?

5. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i am from a different country, so i am no expert when it comes to american snakes but i would say it is Nerodia taxispilota(brown water snake). It is harmless...please can someone verify this....i am taking an educated guess here... :)

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Im with Merlin and Devon, Its def not a corn and Im more then sure its not a rat for the previous stated reasons. It looks like a brown water snake to me...:)

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

100% water snake. The appearance itself gives it away, but on top of that, the eyes slant sightly upward, making it a water snake for sure. There are several species found in FL, three of which encompass the entire state, but the only one it's pattern matches is the brown water snake.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

9. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

Good old JW

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Beautiful little water snake! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.