This Disappears When Logged In

id like a cornsnake any caresheets yall know of

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by psychosis, Nov 27, 2011.

1. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

like how big they get and is there an alternitive to mice cause i dont really like that idea

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

They get 3-5 feet. The only alternitive to mice would be rats, and african soft furred rats(a hatchling probley would not be big enough to eat their pinkys though). Frozen thawed rodents in my opinion are much easier to feed and definaly more humane to the mice. I have heard that they can eat anoles and other little lizards. I have pet mice, who are bred to make food for my corns.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Yeah, main diet for a corn snake, also called a red RAT snake would be a rodent of some type. Like Merlin said, if you are not comfortable feeding a rodent to the snake- you may want to look for a different type of pet.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Feeding anoles can get expensive and dangerous. First off, corn snakes won't eat anoles throughout their lives. They get too large and anoles are very small. Secondly, you MUST feed captive bred anoles, because wild caught animals come in loaded with parasites, something that will easily be transferred to your pet. This means tha you will expect to pay around $10 an anole, and one anole isn't really going to satisfy your corn snake for long.

As stated, if you are uncomfortable feeding rodents, don't get a snake. Look into a gecko or something similar.

7. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

ill get over the rodent issue just have to wait till i get my own place what yall think bout mexican black kings or cali kings or black rats because i like all of those just dont know what to get when i get one

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Frozen rodents are a lot easier to deal with, they don't stink, can't hurt your snake, and have a hugely reduced risk for parasite transmission. They also don't have to be killed (by your or the snake) and can be stored for long periods of time without having to feed them.

Most snakes available in the pet trade are going to eat rodents, and the ones that don't are going to be expensive to feed in the long run, because not many feeders are available as cheap, and as readily as rodents are.

9. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

yeah love the frozen idea cant though live at home you know anything about cali kings or mexican blacks like experences wise

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Please try to use slightly better grammar and punctuation in your posts. We have many members here who are foreign, and English is not their first language. Posts like this may be difficult for them to understand.

There is no reasonable alternative to rodent prey, and frozen is the best option. that is a problem you will need to resolve before you get a snake. There are a plethora of good reasons NOT to feed live prey, I will discuss those later.

As to Cali or Mexican Black Kings, most kingsnakes are pretty generic when it comes to care, and have very similar requirements (Most biologists believe they are all subspecies of just one or two species, which means they are all very closely related). They can be a little aggressive about food, and might be intimidating for first time owners. Young snakes tend to be a little more nervous than adults, simply because they are young, and feel quite vulnerable. Taking proper measures to make your snake feel comfortable will help it feel secure around you (and less likely to bite.). This can include making sure the enclosure is well-furnished, with plenty of places to hide, and allowing your snake to acclimate for a few weeks before you start any kind of handling routine.

Of course, if it makes you nervous, you can wear gloves to start with. It helps to know they cannot inflict any kind of serious bite. As with most bites, it is fast, and startling, but not very painful at all, and very seldom damaging in any way. My cats do far more damage when they scratch me, and cause far more pain, lol.

as to feeding live vs. frozen prey:

Live prey:

can transmit diseases and parasites (Some of which are transmissible to humans. Pinworm is a very common one, and humans can get that.)

can injure or kill your snake in the blink of an eye. (Rodents can and will fight for their life, and they aren't stupid. Most will go for the head or eyes of your snake)

smells bad (In my opinion, live mice stink)

costs more (I pay $140 for a 4 month supply of frozen rodents for my 12 snakes. The same supply of live rodents would cost at least 4x as much. Imagine what I save in a year :) )

requires maintenance to keep around (feeding, watering, cleaning, etc, as opposed to just freezing.)

If you are living at home, and your roommates, parents, whoever are not amenable to the idea of a snake, even if only for reasons of diet, you may want to reconsider it, for the sake of the snake. Many snakes live 20 years or more, and you need to be able to commit to the care of that animal for it's lifetime. If you have college plans, most dorms will not allow pets. You need a long-term plan for this animal.

Hope the info helps you reach a conclusion.

11. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

yeah its the frozen mice in the freezer that gets my mom .when i move out im getting a snake. my freind who ill be living with grew up with two balls and a retic so hes ok with it and the college im going to is a local school in my hometown.so its not a problem

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Storing mice in an opaque container such as a freezer-safe tupperware, etc, may help. My mom didn't mind the mice and rats in her freezer, as long as they were clearly separated from, and unable to come in contact with the food she stored there.

13. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

yeah that may work but its also the fact that i have quite a few animals a dog a basilisk lizard 3 turtles and 3 leos plus weve reacently attempted to start breeding crickets lol it didnt work they all died but its ok

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Crickets stink, literally. there is a cricket breeding caresheet on this site somewhere. I prefer roaches.

15. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

yeah they do. roaches my mom wont allow and i can only get them at shows anyway. which is about an hour drive and they cost more

16. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I totally understand that. My mom has roach phobia. But I ended up convincing her that dubia are way better than the normal icky roaches and if you add in the fact that they don't smell, don't climb, and can only breed in very specific temps (plus her beardie LOVES them), then they make way better feeders than crickets.

17. psychosis

psychosis Elite Member

its true they are better but she wont do it cant even get another leo if i take the one and trade it she wants money or a giveaway for it i dont think so its a murphys patternless