This Disappears When Logged In

I Want Your Thoughts on This As Substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by reptileden0, Feb 28, 2011.

1. reptileden0

reptileden0 Active Member

A traveling reptile show (that has over 20 reptiles all the way up to 20 foot pythons) has taught me that rabbit pelets are good substrate. the reptiles can get comfortable. Poo is easy to scoop. there isnt the gut threat if it sticks to food and gets eaten. no dust in the big bag i bought. my bosc can dig and make what it wants out of it and our humidity of 50-65% does not bother it. Misting makes it flake a little but not much. It has awesome ambiant heat dispersal as it allows pretty even heat thruought it. My bosc loves to rub its face after eating and gets none in eyes and it doesnt stick to its face. It also "sand submerges" in it in the morning in it streching legs out comfortably.. My herpatoligist buddy likes it way better than sands and some wood/bark. I figure its not good for high humidity reptiles as it could mold. But for desert and mid humidity level reptiles its been good.

Now, I want your thoughts and opinions.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would worry about it for carrying bacteria. There are going to be lots of places for it to hide, and you can't clean unless your replace all of the substrate.

As for the sand/wood bark debate, all can cause impaction.

None of these substrates are even close to what most animals are found on in the wild.

I don't think there is a be all end all answer to substrate. I don't think one item is very good for ANY animal. I think you have to take into consideration their natural habitat and work at recreating that in as much of a way as possible, but also take into consideration safety of the animal.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would be uneasy about using it, just because of the bacteria that would harbour from feces, and if eaten the reptile will ingest some nasty stuff.
    Just my opinion, others may feel different.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would not use it. Any moisture is going to be absorbed and cause it to grow bacteria and fungus. Don't beleive it? Take a handful, put a little water on it and leave it in a warm place for a day or two,...YUCK!
    Just scooping out the solid waste is not going to remove the liquid that will spread thru it quickly. And as the animal moves thru it, the urine soaked pellets will be redestributed through out the cage. As Liz pointed out, unless you totally replace it with each cleaning, it will start to get pretty nasty.

5. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

And living on/in situations like this is what is known to cause the yellow fungus disease which if contracted is most generally a death sentence.

6. reptileden0

I like the input so far. When the bosc potties on pellets instead of water dish we replace them all . now, heres the catch. this bosc hates wood anything as substrate. Its not really a digger. Any suggestions as what to try next?

7. mld

Sorry for ignorance, but what is a bosc? I know its not the pear your talking about!

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I believe that would be a monitor, but I'm not 100% sure that I remember correctly.

Oh, and as for rabbit pellets, they are safer for they are low in nitrogen so they won't risk burning an animal when heated, but they can often contain extremely harmful bacteria. I know a few people that make soil mixes and use only a cup of pellets for every 5 gallons since it is beneficial to live plants in a viv, but other than that i would not recommend it as the main substrate.

9. reptileden0

its a savanna monitor. Name is used often but I have some reading/writing (dyslexia) issues and i can write bosc correctly every time. I also have to keep checking everything as I type to make sure words and letters are in correct order. ( i got administer reminded about proper grammar and syntax)Im also used to using "bosc" from my herp zoo buddy using it alot.
    Dont be sorry for asking the questions. I have to ask Sky often what he is talking about cause he uses less common and scientific names alot and I have a hard time with the scientific names which is the thing holding me back from my Bio Science degree.

10. mld

Oh I just looked it up, it's a word they use in Europe for the Savannah Monitor. Thanks, learn something every day.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Many people use a mix of organic potting soil and sand, not wood chips.

12. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Not sure how I missed this thread but I agree with Liz an organic potting soil and sand mix. Any mix from like a 1:1 to a 3:1 I have read is supposed to be good and I am going to try a 2:1 or so.

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You want to provide a moist substrate for the Sav to burrow in.
    Most are kept in too dry conditions.
    I am working on collecting info for a caresheet to post in HC, but could be a bit yet til I finish.
    This is the best one out there that I know of.
    The Savannah Monitor, Varanus exanthematicus

14. reptileden0

I am able to keep the terarium at about 60% minimum average humidity. Higher right now that Toof is shedding. We have deep digable soil mix but she doesnt dig much as I made cave and hiding holes. It prefers to watch us do what we do in my home as if we are her television. She is choosing two water dishes and two potty spots. The water dishes are at cool and warm end. Both she can fully submerge in. She prefers the warm one to soak and cool one to drink from. Toof has been watchin us construct her new 4 foot by 4 foot by 2 foot deep cage. So much room to play in there! We can keep the new cage up to 75% humidity with out damaging it. Its substrate will be twice as deep as what it has now. This cage has room for alot of live plants that drape into hiding spots. This monitor doesnt seem to bother the plants it has now so we are going to double them too, and most of them will be coming from top edge of cage. I am designing a ridge hanging system to keep the plants and not worry about them getting dug up or pulled out. This system also holds water and can raise humidity significantly with small adjustments.

15. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Sounds Good! Only thing I question is why are you building a new enclosure so small? 4X4X2 may seem big but it will have to be upgraded with more square footage for a full grown sav to be comfortable. Full grown they can reach as much as 5 feet or more. My Sullivan is currently in a 7' X3' X 3' and I feel that is nowhere near large enough(turning around with rocks/logs, water basin can be less than convenient). With my current project he will have a 7'X5'.

Also I don't think 2' is enough height either. If you have a minimum of 12 inches of substrate (need enough to sustain a tunnel roof).
    12" from substrate to ceiling, Not much space for any kind of structure to be climbed over. The height of a full grown bosc monitor at the shoulders probably ranges from 4 -6 inches tall. Also would be difficult to have lighting in the enclosure unless you put them on top. If you put them on top it means you will have to cut holes in your plywood top and that will restrict you on where you can rearrange, for example, your basking spot.

16. reptileden0

its 4' tall, 4' wide and 2' deep. This size is only till after we move to larger house. the savanna is only 20" long right now. We have a larger setup but it doesnt fit any of our current rooms.
    Our herp friend thats setting up a rescue center/reptile park in our area is planning a vivarium that we walk into at our new place that matches the vivarium at his soon to be park. Plus we will have to make the house's floors suitable to hold the weight of the vivarium.
    This cage I have that is 4x4x2 is something I have had for years, We are replacing glass and furnishings in it as well as updating the electrical needs. It will do for 6 months.